Minnesotans

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberts_rabbits_2008

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if any of you have rabbitsthat are outside all year long and if you have ever breed thein likelater winter maybe Jan - March as I have before and they died onme. If anyone has any idea of how maybe i couldbreed them and they stay alive please post. Also with somehay if my doe has her kits within the next couple days will theyhopefully live. It has been Freezing here. I can'tbeleive it. Robert

roberts_rabbits_2008 wrote:
Hello, I was wondering if any of you have rabbits that areoutside all year long and if you have ever breed thein like laterwinter maybe Jan - March as I have before and they died onme. If anyone has any idea of how maybe i couldbreed them and they stay alive please post. Also with somehay if my doe has her kits within the next couple days will theyhopefully live. It has been Freezing here. I can'tbeleive it. Robert
Hello Robert,

is your rabbits hutch protected from draft and other inclement weatherconditions? I breed my rabbits year-round with very few loses. Theloses are most often do to poor mothering ability or improper feedingtecniques. If you protect them from the elements and provide a propernestbox,feed & water you should have no problem raising thekits to weaning. Try putting clear plastic around the ouside of thecage so as to prevent wind-chill. Be sure you are able to easily feedand water and Check on the Dam and kits if you should need to. Providelots of Grasshay, be sure there is ALWAYS drinkable water available24/7. I use water-bowls on the colder wintermonths as the nozzels onwater-bottles freeze quickly in the cold due to windchill factors.Place the Doe on Full-feed [Keep a full hopper so she has propernutrition to maintain body temperature and produce milk for her kits]once she kindles [gives birth]. Is the Dam making a proper nest?Pulling plenty of fur to line it and cover the kits? If not, you canpluck fur from the Dam yourself and place it in the nest. Some underthe kits as an insulator and plenty onmtop of them as a blanket. Aproper nest should keep kits warm [above 100degrees] at even below zerotemperatures. I hope this helped. If I can be of any further assistancefeel free to Email me or Visit my Website:http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/crescentvalley.Click on ALL Links for information. See my MessageBoard [WE'RE ALLEARS] Best of luck with your future breedings.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Hi Robert,

If you've never visited the Rabbit Web, I'd suggest you do and make ita bookmark on your list of places to visit. It's an excellent board andcomprised of mainly of breeders.

The address is http://rabbit.lyrical.net I'm sure you'll find it veryhelpful and informative as well. You might wish to take a look at it.You'll get double the replies on questions of breeding in there thatyou'll get here more likely than not. If I were a breeder, I'dcertainly wish to get involved in that forum. Not chasing you away byany means, just thought it's a site you'll enjoy a lot.

:)

Carolyn

I'd also suggest you pick up a copy of the bookcalled, "Rabbit Production" 8th Edition, byMcNitt/Patton/Lukefahr/Cheeke. Many breeders consider it their 'bible.'

One of the things it states is: "It is desirable that a commercialrabbitry be equipped with lights to provide extra hours of light duringthe late fall and winter. This has been shown to increase reproductiveperformance during this period when a decline in reproductiveefficiency is often seen, presumably a result of shortening dayssignaling the reproductive system that winter is approaching."

I'd also suggest you take a peek at the post above in the top 5 statingKeeping a rabbit warm in the fall and winter months for ideas abouttemperature control.

-Carolyn

Carolyn i did read taht one in the top 5 and ithas been getting pretty cold here like 35 at night or so.Could i start mixing a few in with there feed right now?(Black Oil Sunflower Seeds) Thanks Robert

Carolyn i did read taht one in the top 5 and it has been gettingpretty cold here like 35 at night or so.? Could i start mixing a few inwith there feed right now?? (Black Oil Sunflower Seeds)? ThanksRobert

Sure can, Robert. :)

-Carolyn

OK then i will have to pick some up on Thursday when we go to St.Cloud.? Can they have them all reay long?

RObert

I don't understand your question.

-Carolyn

No problem, Robert.

They could have them all year long, but I wouldn't give them a 'hotfood' in hot weather. In the wintertime, it's helpful, not necessary inthe warmer months.

-Carolyn

I hope you take a look at the Rabbit Web, Robert.It's a much 'bigger pond' for breeding questions. Not to say that wedon't want you here, I just know that you'd learn a lot on that boardas well.

Keep us posted on how the babies do.

You are an excellent dad to them. They're lucky to get their start on life in your capable hands.

-Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn, I had know about the classifiedson the Rabbit Web but i found the other part for wuestions now most ofmy questions are done i just wasn't sure about the her sittin on thenest and stuff but there here. I will try to get photos inthe morning. RObert

Thanks Carolyn, I had know about the classifieds on theRabbit Web but i found the other part for wuestions now most of myquestions are done i just wasn't sure about the her sittin on the nestand stuff but there here. I will try to get photos in themorning. RObert

Glad you found it, Robert. They're very helpful and handy to have around.

How are the babies today? Did you lose any?

Check on them often for fat, warm bellies in the morning.They should look like they swallowed a golf ball. Mom won'tabandon them if you touch them, so don't be afraid to check them outand put them back. Of course you know to remove any deadones, which is another reason why it's important to check onthem. Was 7 the lucky number or was one hiding onyou?

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back