Miniature lop / Holland lop good type? Biggest in the litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnyfriend

Reaction score
I am buying a miniature lop and he is the biggest buck in the litter. There were two tiny ones and two larger ones. He was the biggest. Would you say, to avoid a false dwarf, you shouldn’t pick the biggest buck?

He is most likely a false dwarf from what you described. Are you looking to breed him?

Yes breed. At the same time, he was only 350gram when he was 4.5 weeks old. And that is not that big. So I am confused how this works. His parents are 1kg and 1.5kg so quite small. But Im concerned that he is not a good breeding buck

I dont have to. Are you saying it is a bad choice to pick the biggest buck in a litter?
I was just saying you can wait a bit longer, do you know if one of the parents is a false dwarf? If neither are than the baby cant be a false dwarf

I dont have to. Are you saying it is a bad choice to pick the biggest buck in a litter?
Personally I wouldn't. If you have a lot of true dwarf does you might keep around a good false dwarf to breed to to avoid peanuts, but usually people will keep a nice true dwarf buck and if they do keep false dwarfs it is usually the does. That being said, you can't really tell much about type at this age, and size isn't the best thing to go off of. I'm not sure about the swedish standards, so I can't give you specific advice. It can take a while for rabbits to grow into their structure, and for people new to breeding I usually suggest buying older juniors or younger seniors (6 months - 24 months) so you know what kind of type you're getting instead of gambling on a baby rabbit without knowing what it might look like when its older. As you get more experience you can start guessing their type younger and younger but for now you just have hope that the breeder knows what they are doing in picking out show quality juniors (and they usually won't know right at weaning)

Latest posts

Back