Mini stroke?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polly

Reaction score
Hi guys, I know I havent been around much but last week while going through other stuff one of my pet rabbits Dennis has what we think is like a mini stroke. I think Randy calls them vascular incidents?

Its not the first time it has happened but its the first time my other half has seen it as well. On both occasions its almost like he has been grooming himself and he has fallen over on his back and can't get up. Its not like a seizure but when you do get him up he is a bit disorientated. after the episode last week he was not using one of his back legs. It was like it had seized (muscle spasm) we gave him verygentle massage to ease it off and soem heat and after a few hours he was starting to use it again. It has now gone back to normal. He was also a bit off balance for a while afterwards though not like a head tilt off balance if you know what I mean.

If anyone could shed any light on this it would be greatly appreceated. Dennis has had a chronic respiritory problem since we got him around 2 years ago. No matter what we try or for how longit will not clear. He does however go through good and bad spells. He is a lovely bunny with a huge personality.

That's strange. It does sound a bit like a stroke. You mentioned getting hi 2 years ago; is that his age? I can't imagine what could cause strokes, as heart disease is rather rare in bunnies (I think). It could be some genetic issue, or the upper respiratory infection could have moved to the brain. I think it requires a vet consult to determine the cause of the strokes and whether or not you can do anything about it.

He is older than 2 am not sure on his exact age but he is around 4 years old ( can tell by his tattoo) he came from germany origionally and was imported over here.

I think to be honest we have had to give him a lot of meds over the time we have had him and wondered if that could have had a detrimental effect on him.
He has bounced back again this time but it has taken longer than last time. I dont know how much a vet would do for him over here tbh.and I dont want to stress him any more than I have to

Maybe just seizures then once he is back on his feet he gets around fine. this time his leg wasn't working for about 4 hours then after resting he was fine again. I know he has gone back to his usualy self now cause he is going to teh kitchen ( he never goes far when he doesnt feel well) last one happened around 2 or 3 months ago.
I can't remember all of what the vet has given him one is a type of Baytril (just not that trade name) he has had zithromax and he has had another anti biotic though cant remember its name.

Latest posts

Back