Mini Rex lifespan

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helix5

Reaction score
I have a 1.5 year old mini rex named Helix. I was just curious so I looked up mini rex lifespan but found some info saying 5 years while some said 15 years? I'm just wondering but what's a healthy life span for a mini rex? Thanks in advance.

I have also heard 5 years for unfixed mini rexes, my rabbit is 2 years old at the moment but my vet thinks he’ll live at least 10 more years provided he stays healthy. 8-14 years old is average for bunnies though

Lifespan averages for rabbits have much variance as you have seen. Some of that info is long outdated since so much has been learned in the past decades about rabbit care. It is the care - housing and feeding - that plays a major role.

Generally, rabbits that were kept outdoors in tiny hutches with poor nutrition had short lifespans closer to 5 years. Indoor, fixed rabbits tend to live considerably longer, closer to 8-12 years.

Outdoor rabbits could still live long lives if provided with plenty of space, protection from climate extremes, etc.

Thanks for the replies! My bunny is fixed and lives outdoors in a large hutch which is kept in a screened in sunroom. He has access out of his hutch for 7 to 10 hours a day. Sometimes more where he gets to run in the screened in room and come inside the house to play. He stays indoors if it is too hot or cold outside. He is fed quality food (oxbow essentials) and gets lots of exercise and attention. I'm hoping he live at least 8 to 10 years I just love him so much.

...and hopefully loads of hay every day!! :) Limited pellets and unlimited hay is important!
Definitely! Unlimited Timothy hay and lots of fresh water! He gets alfalfa hay cubes every once in a while as a treat :)

Latest posts

Back