mini rex color question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
I have a pedigreed supposedly broken castor mini rex. For some reason the breeders decided to cross black to broken castor and then a broken black from that breeding to an opal out of 2 opals. Resulting in (at least what I know of ) blue, "castor", and opal. Didn't see the opal though so again I'm going off their word. I took the blue and castor. As I read more about colors though the castor does not hold true to the standard at all but I can't figure out what he is. He has no black tipping, blue under coat, and otherwise red hairs. Black ear lacing, dark tail, and what marking he does have on his feet are dark but not black. His nose is creamy red. He's a poorly marked something but any idea what his genotype is?

SANY2218.jpg

He looks like a very poorly coloured Castor. ;) I think the breeder was right on his colouring, it just isn't the colour it should be. ;) It's definitely not as rich as usual Castor.

Just from noticing the pictures as well, are you sure they are Mini Rex? They have some very large ears, and almost look like they could be Rex instead?

Emily

The breeder was probably trying to get opal. They knew that the black they used first carried dilute and the castor probably did not. Bringing the rabbits from this cross back to opal gave theman opal they were looking for. Either that or they didn't know what they were doing. Castor color doesn't really develop until they get their junior prime. I personally don't mix castor to any other variety.

a "blue castor" is an opal... The two you have there are a poorly colored castor and what looks like a broken blue...

They were listed as mini rex before I asked about them and they have pedigrees that say mini rex but who knows. It wouldn't be the first time someone I found on the internet has lied to me. My husband has claimed the male as his pet anyway. I thought about breeding the doe but I've been talking to a breeder who's retiring and will probably get a pair that has already been shown instead.

Latest posts

Back