Mini rex always scared..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kekkio

Reaction score
I bought 2 female mini rexes about 3 months ago. When I bought them they where about 6 months old already.

I knew when I brought them home they would be scared and would take a little while to get used to us. But, its bin a few months already and everyday I go out and hold and pet them and bring them inside.

They seem to be really frightened by humans, whenever I go out to get one, they run into a corner and start grunting and hiding from me.
You would think after so long they would know I wouldnt hurt them and would trust me....Are they going to be like this forever? I feel so bad for them that theyre so scared of me.

Another question I have is, Could they have bin traumatized maybe by seeing another rabbit get killed or harmed in anyway? Do their minds work like that?

Thanks, any comment would help. :eek:]

Hi, are your BunniesIndoor or outdoor bunnies? Do they live together? Are they fixed.

Some bunnies don't like when humans reach into their cages. My Daisy Mae who is 6+ grunts 90% percent of the time when I go into her cage.I just ignore her then she boxes with me.

If yours are outdoor bunnies is their any way you can move them insideso they are around humans more? Maybe interacting with them more during the day will help, also if they can come out of their cages on their own that may help.

Susan:)

Every time you bring them in from outside, it is a change in the environment for them. They may not be familiar of the house and don't feel secure when they are inside. I don't know how much time you spend with them and how long they are in the house every time you bring them in.

My bunnies are always in contact with me. They are in the dining area so they see us and be around us all the time. If we open the frig door, they would be leaning over their pens to get food from us.

Whenever I get a new bunny I place them inside for the first few weeks so they get use to noises, humans and other animals walking by them. This has worked great for me and the bunnies I have obtained but every bunny is different. After that they go outside and are brought in daily for love and play time. Then again all my bunnies came from breeders/rabbitrys so they were kinda already use to all the humans walking by and giving love. They were also use to a lot of different noises. I just make sure thatthey acclimate to my house first. They also all came from a indoor/outdoor enviorment.

It sounds like they're territorial of their cage, rather than shy. This is very typical for females of that age as they go into puberty and many don't like people sticking hands into their cages. Most bunnies don't like to be picked up either, so they could be reacting like that in an attempt to keep you from picking them up. Spaying will help the problem, as will spending quiet time with them in a place where they don't need to be picked up. Bunnies take a very long time to trust people sometimes and doing things like picking them up can hurt your bond if you are doing it every time you see them.

Thanks for all the reply guys! I appreciate it makes me feel better that its normal.

Ill just keep bonding with them and hopefully they come around to trusting me.

:D

Latest posts

Back