Mini lop or holland lop?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vibribunbun

Reaction score
Hi, so I bought a "dwarf" lop and was confused to find that dwarf lops grow to the size of a Dutch rabbit. But when I saw the ladies adult rabbits, they were a bit bigger than Netherland dwarfs.

Is my rabbit a dwarf lop (American mini lop) or a false dwarf Holland lop?

Pictures are of my rabbit and a collection of her rabbits with Netherlands.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220430_190128.jpg
    IMG_20220430_190128.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 10
  • imgonline-com-ua-resize-0d5NpjGhq3uAtm.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-resize-0d5NpjGhq3uAtm.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20220509-104258.jpg
    Screenshot_20220509-104258.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 13
Holland lops are only in the US, so there is no overlap between dwarf lops and Holland lops. That picture on the right is a viral picture that's been going around. Those aren't her rabbits, probably just a stock picture she pulled off the internet. Especially as no combination of those lop rabbits could make a broken black. Unless you have paperwork its very likely that the rabbit is just a lop cross

According to BRC breed standards, dwarf lops and dutch are about the same weight range, but that can vary depending on individual genetics. It could have to do with the breeders breeding lines, or maybe there's some miniture lop in there.

Here holland lops(similar to your miniture lops) will be around 2-4 lbs. I've seen some on the very small end at around 2 lbs, and I've had pet HL larger than the breed standard, weighing over 4 lbs. So it just depends on the genetics of each rabbit, and what they end up with. The breed standards are just what show breeders are striving for, not what all of their rabbits end up looking like.

According to BRC breed standards, dwarf lops and dutch are about the same weight range, but that can vary depending on individual genetics. It could have to do with the breeders breeding lines, or maybe there's some miniture lop in there.

Here holland lops(similar to your miniture lops) will be around 2-4 lbs. I've seen some on the very small end at around 2 lbs, and I've had pet HL larger than the breed standard, weighing over 4 lbs. So it just depends on the genetics of each rabbit, and what they end up with. The breed standards are just what show breeders are striving for, not what all of their rabbits end up looking like.
Hi,
So I talked to the owner of the parents and she said that the breeder said they were dwarf lops.
And that she thought they were the same as mini lops (yes, but only in america).

But when I asked the size of her largest she said "3 lb". This is the size of the ideal mini lop (Holland lop in us) and not anywhere near the smallest size for a dwarf lop which is 4lb 8oz.

Could it be she was wrong and they are actually mini lops?

There are loads of mini lops (over 150) for sale where I live. But only 4 adverts for dwarf lops(including hers) for 50 miles outside of london. So quite rare.
So it seems more likely.
Also she said the woman had over 200 and showed.
But why would a show woman have loads of rabbits outside of the weight range.
This woman has over 20. Some rescue. But all under 3lb!

So do you think she's just a mini lop? Or even a mini lop cross.

Latest posts

Back