Mini lop diet. and laying on his side normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simo

Reaction score
Hi guys
We have a 8 week old mini lop. Are leaves and veggies ok for them? We’ve looked up what they can and shouldn’t eat (in regards to veges) but I’ve been reading that they should only eat hay, pellets etc.
I get worried when he lays on his side and not move. But then he’ll bounce back up as normal. Not sure if that’s normal but every time he does it I get worried he’s not well and may die.

Were they eating any greens from wherever you got them? Many breeders do not feed greens to mother rabbits and their babies. If they were not fed greens, then giving them greens now could kill them. Their stomachs do not have the gut flora to digest greens right now. So unless you know with certainty that they have already been used to greens, then do not feed them any for another month or more.

Rabbits often like to lay on their sides. Here are some photos of mine doing so.

Attachments

• IMAG0945.jpg
    IMAG0945.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_8873.JPG
    100_8873.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Were they eating any greens from wherever you got them? Many breeders do not feed greens to mother rabbits and their babies. If they were not fed greens, then giving them greens now could kill them. Their stomachs do not have the gut flora to digest greens right now. So unless you know with certainty that they have already been used to greens, then do not feed them any for another month or more.

Rabbits often like to lay on their sides. Here are some photos of mine doing so.

We will ask and see if the mother was eating veggies.
But those pictures you posted is how he lays down.

OK. Unless she and her babies were being fed greens daily, then do not feed any greens yet. Once they are over 12 weeks, greens can be very slowly introduced. Their tummy needs time to build the enzymes to digest greens.

Here is a guide on how to safely introduce greens.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html
Rabbits only lay on their sides like that if they are relaxed and comfortable!

Yeah I would wait on the greens until he’s older. There are lots of great guides on what to feed rabbits at different ages. I think I used this one when my bun was younger: Rabbit Food | House Rabbit Society

And it sounds like your bunny flopped! They do that when they are very content. At that age, my bun would only stay flopped for a few seconds before he bounced up again, but after a few months he started to stay on his side longer and fall asleep. If you can catch them flopping, it’s quite a funny sight :)

I would really only worry about how he’s sitting if he’s hunched up, pressing his belly into the floor, and not eating or pooping.

Your bunny is relaxed and that's why he's laying on his side. It's a good sign :)

Mine does it quite often and it's so funny to see them like that. When she's flopped over, I can see her little choppers when she falls asleep lol.

Attachments

• IMG-2430.jpg
    IMG-2430.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 7
Sounds like normal--our avatar Nikki would sleep on her back, all 4 legs in the air--she was a very relaxed and happy bunny and totally secure in her environment.. !6 weeks is when they should start veggies. I gave mine alfalfa til 6 months the switched over to orchard gras and cut pellets way down.

Latest posts

Back