Mimi is eating her newspaper bedding!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deliciosa

Reaction score
I haven't seen her doing this until a couple days ago. She seems to be chewing on them and letting most of it fall out of her mouth, so I don't know how much she's actually ingesting.
It's bedding made of recycled newspaper in little pellets.
I suppose I should find a new type of bedding for her, can anybody recommend something she is less likely to eat?

Haha Mimi! Don't make me send my guys over there....
Is the bedding in her entire cage or just in a litter corner? Is she litter trained? If its just in a litter corner you could make a grate and put that over the litter.

I've had my buns do that with Yesterday's news maybe a bit. I think perhaps they try it to see if it's pellets? I like carefresh for my buns and have never had this problem with carefresh.

Bunnies will sometimes eat paper and cardboard. They have great fun tearing it to shreds and placing it where they want. It's both a fun activity, helps wear their teeth (if it's strong cardboard), and they will scatter it around their home to "decorate" it.

Oh yeah thought I might mention, paper and cardboard eating is perfectly harmless to them, although the ink in newspaper is probably not good for them and you need to be aware of any tape, labels and staples in cardboard boxes. You'll be better replacing newspaper with brown packing paper. This has no printing on it and comes in long sheets, so your bunnies will have even more fun shredding it to bits.

She'll pee wherever hay is and gets grumpy if her hay isn't in her litterbox. The newspaper bedding is only in her litterbox in the corner.
What would you suggest making a grate out of?

I'm definitely going to try and find some Carefresh :) I worry about these newspaper pellets anyway as there will be occasional pieces of what looks like a melted down plastic, probably from a magazine. Don't want her eating that!

Latest posts

Back