Miffy is mad at me,

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hummer

Reaction score
I let her out ofher cage for a while and decided that I wanted her back in, that is thepart I am still figuring out. How do you get a bun back inthe cage? I don't chase her, I guess you could say it is avery slow follow, butI am unsure as how elseto dothis? I blocked off the two areas she loves to go to to makeit easier for me, did not really help. Then I hear this THUMP:X, I lookaround me cause I thought I knocked something off the table and I hearit again. Her foot is so fast at it I did not even seeit. She ended up thumping at me maybe 5 or 6times,she really did not want to go in! I even gaveher some cilantro and parsely, nope did not want it! Needlessto say, she went in the cage. How do you get your littlethumpers back in the cage?

Wrigley is pretty good about going into hiscage. I have it blocked so he can't go under the bed...whichmakes it a lot easier! I just scoop him up and put him in hiscage. He usually chews on the door for a minute, although hehas been getting better about the chewing lately. He knowsthat as soon as the light is turned off it's time to stop.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Jenn

Well, Bo is good also. I just pick himup, walk over and set him in front of the cage door and kinda guide hislittle butt into the cage. he's not always thrilled but hedoesn't fight. Sometimes he'll grab the cage with his teethif he's not been out very long.

bo doesn't thump much. maybe 2 times now......

a good way to train her to go into the cage or that it's a good thingis use some treat. I like Rolled Oats cause they seem to LOVEthe things.... and they are small so you can use one or two or10. Plus it's good for their tummies. Just a bithigh in calories so be careful :)

Put some rolled oats in a little trail into her cage if she can hopinto it herself... then slowly move them to where there are only acouple each time you put her in.

She'll go into the cage looking for them eventually..... Use a command or word... like "here Miffy, Oatsies".....

Thanks for thesuggestion, I guess I will need to pick up some rolled oats next time Iam at the store. Other than the slow chase I will patientlywait for her to go into her cage on her own, but sometimes that can belonger than I want! At one point I got her in there but thedoor is so large she hopped out:X. She can be one quick bunnywhen she wants, sometimes I will open the door just enough for me tofit in and just pet her, I swear she goes to sleep!

Thank all of you for the suggestions andhelp in the past, I am definatly learning that bunnies are indeeddifferent from cats and dogs. Having this forum has reallybeen a great help to me.

Debbie

I know what mean about the door being sobig! I think both of our bunnies use a converted dogcrate. I have to be really fast about closing the doorotherwise Wrigley gets back out sometimes. lol

Here is a picture of his cage...he can be really funny because he knowsthat when I go in his room it's time for him to come out of his cage sohe will start chewing on the door and then I open it for him andsometimes he doesn't realize and keeps chewing away on thebottom...heehee.

It can be race to close the door though...:shock:

Jenn

wrigley_55.jpg

It does look like we have the same cage, if I mayask, how did you make the ramp and the upper level? Right nowI have a 14 inch tv box in there with some holes cut out but she hasstarted to rip at it. I think she would do better with theset up you have, the box takes up too much room.

Judy knows the sound of the food bag and shecomes running whenever she hears it! So I entice her back and rewardher with a tiny handful of pellets. Harold, however, is deaf so thesound trick doesn't work with him. Sometimes he'll just follow Judy in,but other times I have to seek him out. When he sees me he usuallycomes up for some lovin', so I just lead him into the room with thecage and push his little butt in. He'll find the food and realize it'snot so bad in there. :) Of course, my methods only work for very easilytricked bunnies.

When Nepo use to live insideI'd put a ramp for him (he use to have a wire door and I'd put a smallrug on top of it) and he would easily go out of it. And to get himinside the cage,he had a couple of places he'd letmecatch him on (it was weird) (I didn't just catchhimI petted him first so it would be easier) so Iwouldpick him up and then I'd put him a couple offeet in front of the ramp and he'd go inside the cage, but when hedidn't I'd catch him and put him closer to the ramp and he'd go insideit. But now that he lives outside I put a chair next to his cage doorand he jumps on it and I pick him up and take him inside the house, orwhen he's in the garage (usually when it's real hot or cold) he jumpson my back :pand I take him inside, but I'm still working onthat it doesn't work completely. And to put him back in his cage I'dpick him up and take him tohis cage :).

Cosmo is usually not a problem getting back inhis cage, but once he realizes I locked it after him and he's not readyto go to sleep, he'll throw a tiny tantrum! But usuallygetting him in the cage is easy because he follows me around, so when Iwalk to the cage, he'll follow me and then usually run into hiscage. He's always so nosey about what I'm doing over by "hisstuff"...he'll nose bump me to get into his cage if I'm blocking theentrance..haha...

-Vanessa

hummer wrote:
Itdoes look like we have the same cage, if I may ask, how did you makethe ramp and the upper level? Right now I have a 14 inch tvbox in there with some holes cut out but she has started to rip atit. I think she would do better with the set up you have, thebox takes up too much room.
I made the second level and ramp with the cubes that a lot of peopleuse for making cages. I got them from Target. Iused cable ties to hold them together and secure the second level tothe sides of the cage. Then my Stepdad cut wood for me to layover the cubes. The wood on the second level isn't cable tieddown, but the one on the ramp is. My Stepdad drilled holesthough it to secure it. :D

Jenn

[suB]Its really hard to get my rabbit back inthe cage, one time it took me a full day! But thats when i made apallet on the floor in my bed room he likes to hide / go under my bedand laydown and when i want to put him up i cant get him he stays underthere,and i use to put him on my bed but he peed on it alot and i hadto get a new mattress,but know i let him in the living roomand he hops around for and half an hour,he gets some exercise i needhim a play pin:)..!!..[/suB]

its hard to but mybunny back into his cage,its a workout and i dont want to chase him ifeel like i will give the poor thing a heartactack,becuase they doscare easly and i dont want my bunny to be scared,but anyways i use toput a pallet on my bedroom floor and he would get off the pallet andhop under my bed,he likes it under there for some reason,and it takesme foever once a day before to get him out,and when i got him,i feeltlike he was mad at me,well after that i didnt want to go threw all thatagain so i decide something comfterable for us both my bed,well i puthim on my bed a few times and he peed all over it,now i put him in theliving room for an half and hour and he loves to hop around,i keep hiscage clean*i try my best*but clean or not he seems to like it betteroutside his cage..and his cage is pretty big,big enough for 40.00dollers:?..Well he gets some exercise,he needs a big play pen for himand his toys and treats..

Kelso doesn't like to be held, let alone forcedinto his cage, so I use a wooden boardto gently coax him inthat general direction. All the while I tell him it's "bedtime", hopingmaybe he'll one day pick up on the command. Eventually hejust hops in the cageon his own. I've found this tobe both effective and painless. ;)

Mocha doesn't like to go back in her cage,either. She goes back in because I feed her when her playtime is done. Mmm, salad! That doesn't always workif she feels that she hasn't been out long enough. Then Ilead her with oats.:p

Loki goes back in his cage when he's tired. He likes to layon the plastic floor against the metal wires- must feel cool.He's really happy with his cage. He'll probably get worseabout going back in after he's been here longer. When Mocha'stired, she flops on a comfy chair instead!

I've trained my bunnies!! Chuck in some food andsay 'bedtime'when she goes insay it whenvershe hopsin the hutch and praise him. It takes a while for them to get the hangof it but now all i do is step outside when it starts to get dark andthey hop in without me saying anything. they are really clever!;)

For Emmy...it isn't quite that easy. I normallpick her up also, and put her in front of her cage so that she can hopin by herself. But, when the picking her up plan fails I go down to herlevel and tell her nicely to go to her cage. She follows :)

Now I think I have worked out a little routinefor her, I try to get her greens in the cage and show them to her, thenshe runs in and has no problem. But if that does not work, Ijust kinda "herd" her in, I can block some of her escape routes with myhand. I think she also knows at 10 pm it is time forbed! Heck, the dog even knows this! He gets allexcited when I put the gate away, funny dog though since he already hashis food and does not need to be let out!

I know how irrtating it can be to have to chaseyour rabbit around your entire house, and get dizzy from turing aroundso much trying to get them.

Thankfully Tiny got out of that habit!!! I still have to "chase" her attimes. I have honestly realized that it's her way of playing "CHASEMEEEEEE." When I let her out, she usually heads straight for the livingroom and lays on the stone floor by the fireplace (it's cold, and shehas a great view of the tv). Usually when I go to round her up she willrun behind the tv. Once I chase her out of there she runs to the chairon the other side of the room. Once she gets under the coffee tableit's nearing the end. She sits and waits for me to get to her, only torun into the bedroom. From there she usually goes straight to her cage.Latley I have been putting her up later (before I go to bed), and sinceshe is already playing in the bedroom, all I usually have to say is,"Room please Tiny" and she runs to her cage and sits on her bed in theback. She never lets me pick her up though. :/

Anakin is still too small to roam around. When I let him out, he stays on the couch. He loves exploring around there.

I haven't tried the water bottle though. When Tiny was younger, I wouldalways corner her and pick her up really fast. The bad part about thatis that she was really quick, and she scratched well... very well.

Latest posts

Back