Miffy again!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummybunny

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this skin patch is?

We found it on the back of Miffy's neck - is it ringworm?

If so, where could she have got it from - she is a housebunny?

Any advice/info much appreciated!!

mummybunny xx

I have no idea.:? I wonder if it could be related to her dewlap problems? Wet dewlaps can get fungal infections. I guess it could have spread.:ponder: Could you call the vet and ask him about it? She's going in soon for her stitches anyway- he could look at it then.

Come on, Miffy! You're supposed to be recovering!

:bestwishes

Not sure what it is mummybunny. I was thinking that ringworm would cause bald patches with a very clearly defined edge. This is the best description I was able to locate>>>

Ringworm Fungus: Fur loss due to this microorganism is usually patchy, characterized by relatively round bald patches with distinct edges. The skin may be only slightly irritated, sometimes with tiny, raised red spots. Ringworm can be treated with topical application of miconazole- or ketoconazole-containing creams from your veterinarian (Do not use over-the-counter preparations for humans! These have not been formulated for use on an animal that grooms itself!). Fungal infections also can be treated with Program (lufenuron), which inhibits the formation of chitin (an important structural component of the fungus' cell walls).

~Jim

hmm, I'm not an expert but I don't think that is ringworm. Poor Miffy, she is having such bad luck at the moment! Hope she is ok. Get beter soon miffy!:kiss:

Oh no! Miffy, you need to stop scaring your mommy! Unfortuantely, I have no idea what that is.

Oh, Miffy! you don't like scaring your mommy all the time, do you?
I don't think it's ringworm, ringworm usually makes bald spots. Could it be a scar? I haven't a clue what would make a scar shaped like that, but just a thought... get well soon, Miffy! :nurse

Greta wrote:
Oh, Miffy! you don't like scaring your mommy all the time, do you?
I don't think it's ringworm, ringworm usually makes bald spots. Could it be a scar? I haven't a clue what would make a scar shaped like that, but just a thought... get well soon, Miffy! :nurse

Funny.....that what I was thinking, too. It looks like a wound that has healed or at least done the better part of healing.

It does look a lot like ring worm fungus I've seen on cats and dogs. The spores are airbourne and can live for up to 18 months in the environment. It could come from carrier animals exhibiting no symptoms, show tables or cages, contaminated grooming tools, people and other animals. Your vet can tell with a skin scraping. Sometimes they can tell with a black light but that doean't work in all cases.

Not the greatest picture but it shows the start of ringworm on a chinchilla.

fungus-noseandlip.jpg

hmmmm,im not so sure that is ring worm either,but it is a bit hard trying to tell by a picture,but when my charlie had ring worms about 6 months ago she had like fur missing,they lose their fur in patches,and charlies skin was dry and flakey as well.

Dr Tucker took a scraping from her infected area but found no parasites,he did look through this thing that makes the ringworm glow,and boy she had a few glowing spots,so it was confirmed charlie had ring worms.it seemed like ages for it to clear up.I was not sure how she got it,but the vet said they can get it just by playing in the dirt.

do you have any other animals in the house,if so maybe they passed it on,but be careful if it is ringworms its highly contagious,you can catch it.

but for some reason that does not look like ringworms,charlies skin looked completely different to your miffy hmmmmmm...it could be some kind of other skin condition.

do let us know if you find anything out about little miffy.

cheryl...

Hi all, thank you for replying.

So I phoned the vet and she's off there again today at 6pm - so he can look at her patch and the new wound on her dewlap she has made - no doubt she will be getting a collar on!

I'll keep you updated...

mummybunny xx

Went to vet - he says it is not ringworm, but most likely a reaction to the antibiotic/steriod injection she was given at her operation.

mummybunny xx

Latest posts

Back