Microchipping bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popsicles

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone (particularly in UK) has got their bunnies microchipped? I’m moving house and just REALLY stressed about the idea of my new housemates accidentally leaving a door open and her running out. But mainly it’s just the peace of mind. But wondered how they tolerate it? I know cats can be quite prone to reactions at the site and they have very thin skin, so just want reassuring really :)

I don't know about the UK, but here in the US I've seen rabbit rescues routinely microchip rabbits.

Most rabbits, though, like to stay in their familiar surroundings. I've not seen or heard of a rabbit making a sudden dash outside through a suddenly-opened door like a dog might. Maybe if a door was propped open and left open, a rabbit's curiosity might eventually get the better of them. But even then, rabbit would likely approach the opening very gradually and very cautiously.

Thank you, I’ve never seen one done in practice here but I’d imagine it’s easily done, especially if it’s so routine in the US.
Lol yeah I hope that’s the case but then you haven’t met my bunny haha she’s done it at home when mum came in the front door, she’s not scared of much. But yeah hopefully it’ll be fine, I’m just an OTT protective mummy.

I believe it's not the most common thing to do with your bunny throughout Europe, but in the US it a routine procedure a lot of bunny owners do. It's not harmful to your pet in any way if that's what you're asking for.

I have my mini rex chipped. It was quick and easy. She barely even squirmed if at all. Its been over a year and we've had no problems.

Thanks for your reassurance guys! Gonna book it in when she has her vaccs in August.

Latest posts

Back