Merry being aggressive

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanluc_pippen_merry

Reaction score
I brought the new bun home yesterday and i let them sniff each other through the hutch bars and i guess everything seemed ok. But today i let them do it again except i let Padme have a little bit of room outside her hutch (i put up a play pen around it) and Merry was trying to bite her. Not only that, but she started to become aggressive towards Pippin too... when Pip tried to move away from her she lunged at him and tried to bite him...

She hasn't been spayed yet so i know she is just being hormonal and territorial (she's 5 months now) but i am just wondering how this is going to affect her relationship with Pip? I've had to put Merry back in her hutch for the day because she was being aggressive towards Pip which she hasn't ever been before.

Besides getting her spayed, is there anything else i can do to calm her down while she's waiting to get it done? Or should i just keep them all separated for now? I can see Pip still wants to be with her, but im scared she's going to hurt him. Pips a bit of a woosy lol. >.<

5 months sounds a lot like maturity hitting her and she's doing what she instinctively needs to do.

So there's Merry, Padme and Pip? Pip and Merry were originally together and Padme is the new one? Merry could be upset that there's another bun (female?) and taking it out on her bonded mate. Watch them carefully. If she really beats him up and starts to bites, then separate them for now :( Maybe some very well supervised time together will help them bridge the time between now and when she gets fixed. Worst thing that can happen is their bond will break and you'll have to rebond them :( But try to give them supervised contact and see if she'll ease back into her old self around Pip. No visitation rights is BETTER than a BAD visitation for the two of them, though.

I put padme back into her hutch, folded the play pen and used it as an extra barrier so they can still sniff her but can't quite reach to bite her. Merry is ok 99% of the times, but a couple of times when Pip and Merry were next to Padme's hutch and Pip moved, she turned around and jumped on him. She's done that a couple of times and i put her in her hutch as soon as she did it each time. I don't know if she'll figure out that if she does that she'll be "sent to her room". But she's calmed down a little since then.

I'm keeping a close eye on them, but i feel sorry for poor Pippin, he's such a softy lol.

Padme doesn't seem to be phased and is even binkying in her hutch! So at least i don't have to worry about her too. She's settled right in and loves her roomy hutch. ^.^

Latest posts

Back