Mental/behavioral effects on health

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean, I guess it could work🤔 I’m seriously considering going without spaying for now, but I’m still a bit nervous. I have kept rabbits in the past, but this is my first time bonding rabbits myself. It’s still a good idea to spay my female for long term health (and she can be a sprayer, especially where blankets, old clothes, and other such things are involved so I can’t give her anything cushy), but it’ll take me months just to get an appointment. I’m also considering doing a trio, but I’ve only seen altered rabbits available very few times. The pet shelters here don’t spay/neuter the rabbits they get and rehome. If I were to get another rabbit, it very likely wouldn’t be fixed. At least not for quite a few months.
The reason I got them in the bathtub was that the female’s big a satin angora and the bathtub is pretty small so it’s a quite small, neutral space. Also easy to clean and I was worried about potential spraying.

I mean, I guess it could work🤔 I’m seriously considering going without spaying for now, but I’m still a bit nervous. I have kept rabbits in the past, but this is my first time bonding rabbits myself. It’s still a good idea to spay my female for long term health (and she can be a sprayer, especially where blankets, old clothes, and other such things are involved so I can’t give her anything cushy), but it’ll take me months just to get an appointment. I’m also considering doing a trio, but I’ve only seen altered rabbits available very few times. The pet shelters here don’t spay/neuter the rabbits they get and rehome. If I were to get another rabbit, it very likely wouldn’t be fixed. At least not for quite a few months.
The reason I got them in the bathtub was that the female’s big a satin angora and the bathtub is pretty small so it’s a quite small, neutral space. Also easy to clean and I was worried about potential spraying.
Yes, you need to get her spayed. Bonding can be very stressful at the best of times, you don't want to make it even harder trying to bond a bunny without spaying and waiting 8 weeks. They need to be spayed for health reasons too.

You don't want to bond 3 bunnies together. A bonded pair is the way to go. I thought of adding one of my single rabbits to an already bonded pair. I didn't want to take the chance after I heard the possible outcomes... One, the third bunny bonds and gets along with both the bunnies (best solution). Two, the new bunny gets along with one of the rabbits and the bond is broken and a new bond is made (which still leaves one out). Or, Three, the bond between your two bunnies is broken and now no-one gets along (so you're worse off then before). I thought the risk was too high. After all that time bonding a pair, I didn't want to throw all that away.
Also, you don't want to bond them and then get the female spayed. You most likely break that bond.

If your female is a sprayer (I didn't realize she is an expert sprayer!), yes, I would agree on the spaying (even if not bonding). The spraying would only get worse when trying to bond.

Latest posts

Back