Mental/behavioral effects on health

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Hello guys
Haru keeps getting sick, goes back to a100% the next day, then gets sick again, this has been happening for over two weeks now
When she’s sick, she stops eating for a while, then starts to show signs of pain.
I took her to two different vets and they told me that nothing was wrong with her.
She had an xray and everything was fine, the only issue was gas.
Then she got bloodwork and fecal exam, no infections, no parasites, and her liver and kidney function was fine, The only thing that wasn’t was her cholesterol, it was a bit low but I don’t think it’s the reason. Also a dental exam was done.
The vets literally checked everything and nothing was wrong with her.
I’m starting to think that it’s a mental/behavioral thing, because even when she eats (only when she’s sick) she would stop if we were looking, and we have to ignore her. Sometimes she eats when I’m sleeping or pretending to, and I have to stop breathing because when i do, she stops eating, pee on the floor while looking at me, then goes back to being (sick).
When she’s sick, she does look like she’s in pain, pressing her belly, hiding, and alert. She would stop eating, drinking, pooping, and moving around for 24 hours or more. But then she’d get better on her own. I’m giving her simithicone and belly rubs but I don’t feel any gas, and her belly is very soft.
As soon as she gets sherwood digestive support she gets better, but sometimes she refuses it.
Even if she doesn’t eat or poop for several hours, when she does, her poops are perfect! So I don’t think it’s a digestive tract issue either.
I think she might be refusing food for a mental/behavioral thing, then she gets sick and gassy from not eating, and then wouldn’t be able to eat because of the pain?.. is that a thing?
She hasn’t been eating or moving for six hours now, but as soon as I took her to the living room (where she isn’t allowed) she started to run around, honking, and eating..
Also when she’s sick her ears gets cold does that mean that she is feeling cold?

Last edited:
What exactly is her diet? My suspicion would be that she might be sensitive to something in it, like, some rabbits have problems with kale, others with different stuff. Cutting out one of the things for some days would be a way to see if anything upsets her tummy, making her reluctant to eat, which might lead to gas.

What exactly is her diet? My suspicion would be that she might be sensitive to something in it, like, some rabbits have problems with kale, others with different stuff. Cutting out one of the things for some days would be a way to see if anything upsets her tummy, making her reluctant to eat, which might lead to gas.
She’s been eating the same thing every day now. Why would it affect sometimes and sometimes not?
And why would she get better as soon as I took her to the living room?
Just a few seconds before, she couldn’t even hop, and would walk/crawl on the floor, but after she got out she started to run around..

Honestly, I think it’s behavioral. I’ve heard of rabbits doing this sort of thing for attention. She might be manipulating you to get what she wants.

Well, you can think of it in the same light as a dog. A dog gives you the puppy eyes when it wants your food, it limps on walks so you will carry it, a pile of other dramatics for other things. Same thing, different species.

Sadly Overhear,you've fallen into the same trap that most non animal people do.You've been taught that we're so clever and that every other living creature is inferior in termsof mental capacity. Scienc e and behavioural studies inthepast twenty years and before have shown time and time again that this is utter tripe,and that animals are capable of far more complex thought and behaviours. Take for example the recent studies showingthat bumblebees like to play with inanimate objects,apparently for the fun of it,and that bees sleep clinging to one another for comfort.I could go on,but you ge the point hopefully.Rabbits are very smart and very sensitive,and they will do all sorts of things if they aren't getting the attention they think they are entitled to.We've only scratched the surface in understanding animal intelligence,and given that we've managed to screw up just about everything we touch in relation to this planet,i don't thinknwe have the moral high ground!

We've only scratched the surface in understanding animal intelligence,and given that we've managed to screw up just about everything we touch in relation to this planet,i don't thinknwe have the moral high ground!

Whoaaa. Of course I don't think humans are geniuses or angels. Actually, to your point, @john.thorpe1952, my bunny has me pretty darn well trained at this point. 🙃

I do hope you get to the bottom of whatever is troubling Haru. Keep us posted!

I ran this by my sister who's a behavioral psychologist who's worked with both people and animals. She did think that it could be a behavioral reaction. For example, maybe Haru's figured out that you'll massage her belly in reaction to specific behaviors.

To test whether the issue is behavioral, she had this suggestion:

Typically I'd change one variable at a time to see how behavior changes but since they've already done so many things it would be hard to determine. So, I would start by having someone else who the rabbit knows do the feeding. Or start a totally new routine. New bowl, room, walk away if you usually stay.... and look at each new part.

You might also try leaving the room and using a webcam to observe Haru's behavior. If she doesn't do the peeing, etc. when she's alone, that could be an indicator.

Have you thought about getting her a mate? Maybe she is lonely.
I have had two experiences where I have had a single rabbit and when I got them a mate they turned into completely different rabbits.
One of them was so shy, she would never come near me. She wouldn't eat if I was in the room and would run and hide from me. I got her a mate (I brought her along when I went to pick one). They've been together for 3 years now and she is completely different. Now she runs to me when I come in their room, and when I am cleaning their boxes or petting her mate she comes and "bumps" me with her nose for attention. If one of my hands is free she will come and tuck her head under it for pets. She is so happy now!! She was just lonely and didn't want a human for company, she wanted a bunny. :)

Have you thought about getting her a mate? Maybe she is lonely.
I have had two experiences where I have had a single rabbit and when I got them a mate they turned into completely different rabbits.
One of them was so shy, she would never come near me. She wouldn't eat if I was in the room and would run and hide from me. I got her a mate (I brought her along when I went to pick one). They've been together for 3 years now and she is completely different. Now she runs to me when I come in their room, and when I am cleaning their boxes or petting her mate she comes and "bumps" me with her nose for attention. If one of my hands is free she will come and tuck her head under it for pets. She is so happy now!! She was just lonely and didn't want a human for company, she wanted a bunny. :)
Solid point there. It’s a possibility.

Hello guys! I’m 100% sure now that it’s a behavioral thing. I’ve been tortured for over a month now, not sleeping, not eating, not going out, and bawling my eyes out. Haru is okay now, she’s very energetic and is eating well. My mental health is really bad so I can’t really give her the attention she wants, but I’m trying my best. About the mate thing, she isn’t spayed so I can’t get her a friend. And the vet said that it’s better not to spay her since she has some issues.
Thanks everyone for responding♥️

My word! Take care of yourself! Psych2Go is YouTube channel for mental health. It’s helped me and I was a wreck (now I’m a functional wreck). Look into it, please! You can’t give your rabbits everything sometimes and it’s ok. Try not to lose sleep over it. Just do your best🤗

My word! Take care of yourself! Psych2Go is YouTube channel for mental health. It’s helped me and I was a wreck (now I’m a functional wreck). Look into it, please! You can’t give your rabbits everything sometimes and it’s ok. Try not to lose sleep over it. Just do your best🤗
Thank you so much♥️
I’ll check it out!

I'm sorry to hear about your mental health. I too have had issues. My rabbits are what kept me going for a long time, so I am very grateful for them. All we can do is the best we can. 🤗

P.S. I have two bonded female rabbits. One is spayed and the other is not. They are not sisters...one is a year older than the other and totally different breeds.

I'm sorry to hear about your mental health. I too have had issues. My rabbits are what kept me going for a long time, so I am very grateful for them. All we can do is the best we can. 🤗

P.S. I have two bonded female rabbits. One is spayed and the other is not. They are not sisters...one is a year older than the other and totally different breeds.
How was the bonding process? Haru is verryyyy territorial, when I take her to another room, she pees on the floor from 8 to 11 times in less than 3 hours..

the bonding process was actually pretty easy. I developed a system that has worked for me 3 times now.
it is alot easier when one is spayed and one is not, or if it is a female/male combo. I have a female who is not spayed with a neutered male. That one was super easy. I will only get rabbits from our Humane Society now, as they need homes. Plus, they are always spayed and neutered already.
I noticed that Haru is a Lionhead. I have heard that they can be difficult rabbits sometimes. Have you done any research on her breed (Lionhead)?

I want to bond my rabbits (neutered male/ unspayed female) but I need to get my female spayed (which is a dreadful, very expensive pain to do in Alaska) and upon first introductions in the bathtub my female proceeded to continuously spray the entire bathtub, sprinkler style🤦🏽‍♀️

if your male is neutered why get the female spayed? I have an un-spayed female and neutered male, and they are fine. Best of friends.
She can't have babies if the male is neutered.
Yes, I had a female that did the same thing at first, when face to face. I don't let them actually get to the bathtub stage for almost a month after I start the bonding process.

Latest posts

Back