Meeting Each Other

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oreo_biscuit

Reaction score
I have no clue where to post this and how it works as I am a first time user..
hello everyone! I have a slight worry about my two rabbits. The male (Oreo) has been neutered & the girl (Biscuit) has also been spaded. Both are now infertile. We let them see each other under under our supervision. The male continuously humps the girl. When he performs “head-humping” I split them up however when they hump from the back the girl doesn’t seem interested & I don’t know if they like each other! I am a first time rabbit owner so any advice from real life people would be great! :)

Hi, how long ago they were fixed and what is their age? I know that you need to wait about 6-8 weeks after neutering/spaying because they will still act like they are intact rabbits before that.

Only about 4 weeks for females but yeah, 6-8 weeks for males' hormones to fully dissipate.

If it has been longer than that, are you on 100% neutral territory when trying to bond them? Assuming you are, then he's probably just one of those hump happy rabbits. As long as she's not getting upset about it, that's what matters.

Just let him hump her as long as she doesn't seem upset, it doesn't turn into a chase scene and he's not humping the "bitey" end. Keep bonding session short (maybe 10-15 mins) until he gets the humping out of his system. Sometimes humping is about dominance but if the other rabbit has clearly submitted and humping continues, sometimes that just means they're over-excited.

Hi, how long ago they were fixed and what is their age? I know that you need to wait about 6-8 weeks after neutering/spaying because they will still act like they are intact rabbits before that.

I can’t remember precisely when they were both fixed but it hasn’t been 6-8 weeks yet. Thank you for your help x

Only about 4 weeks for females but yeah, 6-8 weeks for males' hormones to fully dissipate.

If it has been longer than that, are you on 100% neutral territory when trying to bond them? Assuming you are, then he's probably just one of those hump happy rabbits. As long as she's not getting upset about it, that's what matters.

Just let him hump her as long as she doesn't seem upset, it doesn't turn into a chase scene and he's not humping the "bitey" end. Keep bonding session short (maybe 10-15 mins) until he gets the humping out of his system. Sometimes humping is about dominance but if the other rabbit has clearly submitted and humping continues, sometimes that just means they're over-excited.
okay thank you

Okay, so it sounds like you just need to wait a little longer. If he's still got hormones and she isn't offended by the humping, then it's likely that you'll have a pretty smooth bonding process once his hormones are fully gone. If you have any more questions later, you know where we're at. :)

Latest posts

Back