Meet Rascal!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugLady

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have had my little Rascal for a week now and these forums have helped tremendously with a lot of questions I have had so far.

Here is my story.

It actually started with another bunny, who I named Petunia. I had been wanting a rabbit for almost two years, and finally felt like the time was right. I am a graduate student so I spend a lot of time at home studying. I adopted her from someone on craigslist, and she was *perfect*. Litter trained, wonderfully friendly and snuggly (loved to be petted and would follow me around the house)... but when I took her to get spayed a month later, she passed away from anesthesia complications after the surgery. I was heartbroken.

A few weeks later I felt the pang again and thought I would give a second chance to another bunny.

This one has been quite a different story so far. Already neutered and litter trained, so I figured that was a good start. But he was kept in a tiny cage the first 8 months of his life (pet store, then at someone's home who neglected him), and was never really handled. A woman rescued him, got him fixed, and put up an ad on craigslist. Her opinion of "friendly and snuggly" actually meant "goes limp when you pick him up but otherwise is scared of people"... which was disheartening to me since I was still mourning my super friendly bunny.

But Rascal has made quite a turn-around in just one week! Aside from a GI stasis scare (took him to the emergency vet, he bounced back within a few hours) he has been doing great. The first few days were tough with litter training, but now he saves all his poop for his box. He's got a great big cage, lots of toys, fresh hay, limited timothy-based pellets, fresh veggies twice a day... and he is on his way to earning full house-rabbit status (I leave him out most of the day, the living room is fully rabbit-proofed). I actually just set up a webcam/skype account so I can watch him while I am at school.

He is learning to take treats from my hands, and when he is hungry he will do almost anything to get a raisin. I break them in half, so it's only a tiny nibble at a time. I am attempting clicker training. When he feels like it he will come to his name, stand up, jump on a box, even jump over a paper towel tube obstacle I made! But if he's full or not in the mood, it's like I don't exist. He is pretty skittish about sudden movements or sounds, and tends to run away from me unless I get down on the floor at his level. He *hates* being petted, which makes me a little sad, but I'm trying to slowly associate touch with good things.

Anyway, I can tell this little guy is going to live up to his name!
6925630655_24e20441a5.jpg

Clicker training video

Welcome to the forum!
Im so so so sorry to hear about Petunia passing. What are the chances of that? You dont hear about them dieing much from anesthesia complications.

Rascal is a beautiful rabbit and Im so happy to hear he has found a wonderful home with you! You seam very caring and I know he will be happy!
I cant wait to see more pictures of him! Dutch rabbits always have such beautiful bright markings and colors :)

Petunia was a year and a half old, so I guess her age increased the risk, though I had heard so many success stories for bunnies that age so I thought it was worth it. Apparently she was ok for a few hours after surgery, but had a heart attack when someone went to pick her up. They tried to revive her for 20 minutes but couldn't.

Rascal is going to take a bit more work to socialize, but I'm up for the challenge!

Here he is looking disapproving (he was featured on the disapproving rabbits blog a few days ago)

6932507639_c0d848fee1.jpg

Welcome to the Forum

My heartfelt condolences to the loss of your Petunia.

Rascal is gorgeous and boy does he have a disapproving face in that pic. lol

Wishing you all the best turning this grumpy guy into a content bunny.

K :)

Welcome to the forum. So sorry to hear about petunia. My friend also lost one of the bunnies she got from me when hers was getting spayed. Tragedy.

Rascal is plenty cute though. Once he opens up to you it will be a bond that can never be broken. Those always give the best love :)

I would like to welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Beautiful bunny, he has a mischievous look in his eye.

Many bunnies’ recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

Latest posts

Back