medium size bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the weight and age of the rabbit.

For young rabbits (8wks to 7 months) free choice pellets along with hay.

After that you need to back off on the free choice and start limiting their pellets but always supply free choice hay.

Here's something that might help.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

Hope this helps.

K:)

thank you, shes 7 months and kind of big dont know her weight, and seams she wants pellets.
i'm going to slow down on pellets i'm going though alot i give her a half cup then hay and also grass. thank you for responding

The general rule for pellets for adult rabbits is about 1/4 cup per 5 pounds of body weight. However, some rabbits may need more and some less so you may need to adjust that to your rabbit. Factors like the breed or size, if the rabbit is neutered or not, activity level and where they are housed, and why you keep them all play a part. An intact breeding rabbit who is kept outside needs more than a neutered indoor pet even if both are the same breed. Even an intact indoor pet might need more than a neutered one, but it can depend in how active the rabbit is.

We've cut ours way back on pellets and give them all the orchard grass they can eat--none of ours look like they are starving and the couple that came to us in a rotund condition now look like bunnies and not so much like fur covered blobs.

thanks,I think i'm going to start cutting down on pellets too , is regular grass good like orchard grass?, without the grass being treated? I give mine hay too.

You often can tell by feel instead of by weight. You should feel the ribs but they shouldn't protrude. And grass is good, but you should slowly introduce other greens. See the library section for more information.

terrie wrote:
Does anyone know how much lettue and grass you can give to bunnies?

Regarding veggies, a small cup full is given to my buns. I give timothy hay mixed with orchard grass hay so that kind of satisfies their pallets which keeps the weight down. Plus they all get a small portion of wheat grass as well. I've already cut back the pellets which needs to be cut back at the age they are at now.

The RO Library has some good info you can study. But lots of opinions and ways to feed bunnies. I read lots of info, but found my own way because I know my bunnies.

You'll find a nice balanced diet for them. It just takes time with trials and errors. Everyone goes through this.

Rue is right regarding limited quantities. I build up the time for my boys to be outside in their run, eating that grass and clover. Being outside in the sun, feeling the breeze on their face and tasting the grass is an excellent stimulant for your bunny. Physically and mentally.

Latest posts

Back