Medications Discussed in Naboo's Thread

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krsbunny

Reaction score
At the risk of being banned for speaking up, I need to start by saying I get very concerned when I read a statement like "Sulfatrim will cause severe diarrhea". This is a medication I havegivento many rabbits over the years and still find it to be a good broad-spectrum antibiotic for a variety of problems including some cases of GI flora imbalance. The one time it caused diarrhea in one of my bunnies was when it was prescribed instead of Albon (by a very well-known and respected vet in the rabbit world) for a confirmed case of coccidia. The next day the bunny was switched to Albon and all was well. What I took away from that was NOT that it was an inherently ineffective or unsafe drug in general, but that it had not been the correct choice for that diagnosis. I suspect that what makes it the "wrong" drug for some GI issues is exactly what makes it the right drug for others.

I have had many culture/sensitivity tests done over the years and have seen just as many "bugs" come back resistant to bicillin as I've seen resistant to Sulfatrim or Baytril. What is true in Randy's part of the country may not be true in mine -- or yours. Also, after 25 years working in the pharmaceutical industry,my personalpreference isto start with drugs that have a proven track-record of safe use in rabbits.

Years ago I accepted everything said by experienced rabbit people as fact ... and kept doing what was clearly not working for Murray. Because "everyone" who knew more than I did said the same thing, I thought it had to be the "one and only right answer." I did the best I could for Murray, but part of his legacy has been teaching meto listen to the opinions of others (especially those expressing an opinion that is different from mine)but not to blindly accept those opinions as fact.

Questran is used in some humans to treat high cholesterol. The first time I got it for a bunny, the vet called around to human pharmacies until she found one that carried the "single human dose" packets. Now, at least some of the exotics vets around me keep these packets in stock. Again, my personal preference is to avoid having medications compounded by a pharmacist.

I am fortunate that my primary vet (Dr. Allan) has excellent rapport with the other exotics vets in town -- and often if I need something she doesn't have, she will be able to find it through one of the other vets in town who will dispense it to me with an Rx from her.

Kathy Smith

LOL, you have no idea how much it takes to get banned here! It usually takes some reallynasty personal attacks (or spamming or adult content). This isn't Etherbun, for which I am glad.:)

I have to agree that in my experience, sulfa drugs have not caused GI issues. They're the first one my vet tries for baby (nursing) rabbits due to it's good track record as a gentle antibiotic for rabbits with few side affects, whereas Baytril is known to cause issues in baby animals. She gave it to my two-week old baby with cystitis around the anus from an unknown source. It didn't work (penicillin did, later found it was syphilis when siblings fell ill) but it didn't hurt.

And Questran comes in single dose packets??? Obviously my vet is not aware of that. If I have a need, I'll have them call around to pharmacies to look for it.

LOL! Nobody here will ever be in danger of being banned for expressing an opinion! We WANT opinions.

The more research I do the more I realize how different things can be because of geographic locations, breeds, diets, history, etc. It's mind-boggling.

RO invites a cross-section of experiences. We welcome all opinions and urge everyone to consider them all. I personally tend to take greater stock in the experiences expressed by Randy (who hands-on treats hundreds of animals and observes vet treatment for many more) and Kathy (who has spent eons researching rabbits ailments as a rabbit health book author and has treated her own warren) as well as science-savvy members like Naturestee, Pamnock (a breeder and ARBA judge who has raised thousands of rabbits), AngieLuv (a rescuer/shelter volunteer and former nurse with loads of personal experience), Ivory (a vet tech studying to be a vet), Tonyshuman (a biomedical sciences graduate), DQuesnet (another great bunny slave and researcher with a knack for medical sciences) and other RO people while also consulting two of my own vets AND checking with people like Dana Krempels and Rami from Etherbun.

We really NEED as many opinions to be expressed here as possible, and we need the people reading those opinions to take stock of their own situations to properly assess and apply those opinions to their own situations.

Sometimes it's a bit of a crap-shoot -- a best guess scenario -- regardless, but coming at all issues with the broadest possible knowledge base is always the best bet.

sas :bunnydance:

One important thing I forgot to mention is finding a veterinarian with whom you can really work in a "give and take" relationship. Respect is very important in building such a working relationship. Certainly, you can take him/her information from this forum, e-mail lists, the Internet, my books -- as a starting point for ideas and conversations. Remember, however, that s/he has training none of us have.

Also, realize that some veterinarians have had "not-so-positive" experiences with other clients which may make them insist (for a variety of reasons) on only consulting "vet-to-vet." I have spoken to a couple of veterinarians who sought me out, but my normal protocol is to suggesdt people have their vet contact mine.

I take information to my vet as "food for thought." But I also expect that she is going to want to speak to another veterinarian before trying something new. It is important to me (because of some experiences I know she has had) to be able to provide her with a professional contact. And I respect those times when she comes back to me and says she isn't comfortable trying something. Similarly, if she suggests something that doesn't feel right to me, we discuss other option. What is wonderful in our relationship is that 9 times out of 10, we reach the same conclusion by different paths!

Kathy

I don't have a rabbit vet here. and believe me I have been to many vets in this region. Most of my knowledge has been gained as a tool for me to save my rabbits myself (except with dental) and I have been lucky not to have conditions like bladder sludge or heart conditions which would be impossible for me to deal with.

I go to about4 vet clinics here ..having found that certain vets can do certain procedures and not others and none of them have the whole picture

The closest rabbit saavy vet is in Madison which is about 200 miles from me here in La Crosse.

I rely on sites like this one and etherbun to give me the knowledge to save my own rabbits..ot at least know what should be done
I used to live in Chicago so I am aware of the abscence of rabbit care hereand I admit would have refused tomove here 5 years ago if I had known.
I understand your stressing the importance of allying yourself with a vet but that is not always possible depending on the location in the US and even countries outside the US.

Some of us have to rely on knowledgable people that are not vets but havesome solid knowledge and experience. because that is the best and only thing that we can do for our pets. I don't advocate self-treatment but will participate in it if there is nothing else available

Today I received a memo at the shelter stating that all birds adopted out from our shelter would not require a vet visit after adoption Why?
Because the only vet thatsaw birds moved to another city. There is no vet that treats birds in this area which is scary because I have an African grey parrot also.
So now I will get off my "pity pot" and just state that if I had a vet that I could ally myself with Iwould feel like the luckiest person in the world.

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

I totally understand how very, very, very lucky I am to have the vets I have to work with. I explicitly express gratitude for that several times a week -- and any time I have an appointment with one! If what I said came across at all judgemental,that was absolutely not my intention. My point was that if someone has the option, that is absolutely the way to go... while at the same time pointing out that having a good vet does not mean "blind faith".

Lucile Moore is also inyour boat where she lives ... that is why the Special Care book has drug doses in it. I have a good friend in West Virginia who is, in a way, in a worse position ... she has Yugo vet care at Ferrari prices. She has done some miraculous things on her own ... she is one of the few people I will calculate drug doses for.

I'm here to help in any way I can.

Kathy

I really feel stressed out all the time because I have to do so much myself ....

it has nothing to do with you...Kathy

just made me feel sorry for myself because I wish I had a good vet so much :(

Latest posts

Back