Medication Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwalter

Reaction score
My bunny, Ollie, was diagnosed with E. Cuniculi today. It turns out that he also has a condition called "mega colon" which caused his immune system to weaken to where he got the infection. I'm completely devastated- he's only two years old and will probably only live a few more years due to his condition. On top of the $800 vet bill I paid today, Ollie will need at least two medications- Cisapride 10 mg/mL and Metaclopramide 5 mg/mL- for the rest of his life. He will also most likely be disabled due to the infection. This will be extremely expensive and because I'm a college student, I'm afraid I can't afford it. The last thing I want to do is surrender him to a shelter. Does anyone know of any cheap places to get these medications? I've tried allivet, 1-800 pet meds, and chewy but they either don't have them or are way too expensive. Also, if there are any grants that I could apply for, please let me know. The last thing I want to do is to give up my baby because I can't afford his medication.

Hi sorry to hear about your bunny and I’m glad it survived the EC infection. Both of these drugs are just hit motility meds. Metaclopramide is a human medicine. You can check the prices around and ask you vet to call it into the regular pharmacy that sells it the cheapest. It is a generic medication and you will be able to get a month worth for about $15. I don’t know your situation but I think this is a fairy affordable price to pay to keep your bun happy and healthy. I had a permanently ill bun that live a happy and healthy life for 6 years. So don’t be discouraged by the diagnosis.

Some regular pharmacies also carry veterinary medicines and most (if not all) accept RXs from vets if they carry the medication in question. The GoodRX website shows that you can get a 473 ml bottle of metaclopramide 5 mg/5 ml for as low as around $12. Cisapride may be trickier, as it's apparently been banned for human use in the US. If you can't find a regular pharmacy that carries it for veterinary purposes, ask your vet about alternatives. There are numerous very similar medications that ARE still approved for human use and would therefore still be pretty cheap to get through a regular pharmacy.

Latest posts

Back