MED QUESTION...HELP (syringe feeding)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello everyone...I have an issue I have never had to deal with before and am hoping I can get some help/suggestions from you fellow Bunny moms/dads. I have a 4 yr. old Holland Lop/Polish mix girl, she is super sweet. She was having issues with eating; so, I took her to the vet. She was diagnosed with an enlarged heart, the vet thinks she was born with a heart condition and this has caused her heart to enlarge. She doesn't want to eat as her heart is pressing on her esophagus. Anyway, she now has to take a heart medication twice daily and another two medications once a day. The issue is she HATES the syringe, and when I say she HATES it, she will do anything to get away from me so she won't have to take her meds. She now hides whenever I come into her room as she is so scared I am going to give her meds. Plus, after fighting with her to take them stresses her out so badly. I am scared she is going to have a heart attack from the stress of taking the medication. She is one of my sweetest buns, and used to run to me for pets and love when I came in her area and now she hides from me.

I actually just stopped giving the meds two days ago as it stresses both of us out so much. I just feel it is not worth the stress on her heart to do that to her everyday. I am worried I am doing more bad than good giving her the meds. The vet suggested I get a med. that she might like better (a different tasting one); but, it isn't the flavor of the meds. it is the syringe in general she hates. I have watched every video on youtube instructing how to administer the meds and my vet even showed me; so, I don't think I am doing anything wrong. It's just she does NOT like the syringe period...

I have tried to "hide" the meds. in a treat; but, she is too smart for that and can smell them so won't even touch the treat. I have thought about getting some carrot baby food and mixing it in there to see if she will eat that; but, I am not sure if she will be able to eat it. I tried applesauce and she turned her nose up to that. Plus, everything says these foods should be fed thru a syringe. Ugh.

Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers for us? I asked the vet and she was no help at all... I am hoping someone else has dealt with this kind of thing before. She can't be the only rabbit in the world that hates a syringe...
Any suggestions at this point are more than welcome...

When I have to give meds I put it on a little kitchen oatmeal. Only use the syringe when a rabbit is in stasis and doesn't eat anything.

What I do is I put a few pellets on a little plate, add a few drops of boiling water to make a puree and mix the meds in. The aroma of the warm pellets disguises the meds smell - if you're lucky. Worth a try?

Smart bunny 😂

Maybe try dissolving the pill into some apple juice and Critical Care. Then pour/mix that into a bowl of greens, chopped apple, pellets, hay, and dry oatmeal to soak up the meds. The vet could also try having the medication compounded and flavored by an outside pharmacy?

thanks everyone for your suggestions. 🐰

I have tried every suggestion, all really great too. Still she isn't buying any of it. Yesterday I went and bought a few different flavors of baby foods. I tried the carrot first, as she LOVES carrots. I mixed that with her pellets. Bad idea...She pushed her pellets away after one sniff. So, I put her pellets in a new bowl with NO meds. and she pushed those away too. Then she got her greens (the usual greens she gets everyday, no meds included) and those got pushed away too. I got the message loud and clear. "Don't mess with my food, Mom". I think she is the smartest rabbit ever.

After I left their room she did finally eat. But, OMG... 😩

I am NOT giving up though. I won't be mixing with or messing with her food anymore. But, I have some other ideas thanks to your responses. I think she is some kind of super rabbit and can read my mind...

I am still open to ideas....!!!! 🤔

I'm just very forceful with it, to be frank. It really doesn't matter (for me) about getting my rabbit to be willing to take it and whether adding some banana or something will make it slightly less stressful. Ultimately for all medical/care-related tasks (e.g., injections, grooming, clipping..), I prioritize minimizing stress via taking as little time as possible to do it, which includes a potentially more forceful hold and overall gruff-ness. It's definitely easier for some rabbits than others, and it's balancing owner comfort and skill as well. I have a 2.5lb dwarf who is very easy to handle for medicating due to size, and then I have a 7lb American Sable who I do need to be a bit more "forceful" with in terms of holding firm.

Two things most helpful for me with medicating is 1) medicating mat and 2) a treat after a successful administration.

oh, yes. I usually am the same way. Just get it done. That was the initial approach. I hate it as much as they do, so I want it to be over as quickly as possibly too.

However, after two weeks of the forceful approach left her hating me. My sweet girl who used to run to me for love and pets wouldn't even come near me anymore. She hid from me and did anything she could to get away from me. It started taking 20 mins. just to catch her, and then getting the meds. in was another 30 mins. She needs these meds. for life...so, I am trying to find something she likes.

I have an appointment with her vet next week for the month follow up. Maybe she can help.

Thanks everyone.

I would definitely recommend the medication mat method then so you're not associated with the procedure --- this was very helpful when my Wick needed to be medicating in various ways up to 3 times a day. The rabbit learns to associate the mat with the procedure, rather than your mere presence.

Latest posts

Back