mean rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagadvocate

Reaction score
Geez. What is the reason that some rabbits are so innately mean? Is there a book on the reasoning behind this? If so, I'd appreciate the enlightenment. But I've read about the "wild" roots that cause the defensive aggressive behavior, is there more to it?

My Charlie has been here now for six months. Carmel has made some very impressive efforts to kill him since day one. Bonding is pathetic, and Charlie just ends up afraid. He does not fight back, he is not aggressive, he probably has no clue as to why she wants to hurt him.

I used to think it was funny to tell people that the cute and fuzzy bunny hopping around my living room is actually quite a brute. Now it's just getting old. And there's the additional warning that she may bite strangers. But whatev.

So, is there a good book/link/info about why some domestic rabbits are so darn mean to other rabbits? After all I've read about rabbits, I don't think I've ever come across a clear answer on that. If there even is one.

Thanks

There is no sure fire answer because each rabbit is different, it could be many things, just a clash of bunny personalities, where you are bonding them, where they came from, their genes, their learned behaviours, hormones (even with spays or neuteres bunnies can still act hormonal and stuff), loads of things.

If you want, you can post what you have been doing and we can try to help or give you extra advice, but maybe these are just two buns not destined to live together.

Little bunny gangs. They start them young and they never seem to regain their innocence.

Seriously, I feel your pain. Bo has been really mean to Clover but now Clover is mean to him. He also was mean to Tony and he and Clover ganged up on Tony. Tony was like WTH?!?!?! Bo also will bite. No ifs..... he bites me sometimes. He's a brat..... :?

Hey Bo, perhaps Carmel and Bo should get together and knock a little of the bully out of each other, lol ;)

Flashy wrote:
There is no sure fire answer because each rabbit is different, it could be many things, just a clash of bunny personalities, where you are bonding them, where they came from, their genes, their learned behaviours, hormones (even with spays or neuteres bunnies can still act hormonal and stuff), loads of things.
True, true...I guess I'm just one of those people who always wants a reason for something. Even though there isn't always one.:?

If you want, you can post what you have been doing and we can try to help or give you extra advice, but maybe these are just two buns not destined to live together.
Well, I've pretty much run the gamit with these two. I've even consulted a local expert for help. It's just a bummer cuz Charlie is such a sweet lil man. I guess that once Carmel lost Buddy, there will never be another in her eyes. Thanks for the reply Flashy. :D

I don't know how you would be fixed for this, and even if it would be possible, or would work, but I have found bonding a trio is easier than a duo. I have two trios, both with one very dominant bunny, and two very submissive bunnies. The submissive buns stick together and it seems to be that neither one gets bullied.

Maybe it might be worth thinking about that if it is feasible. Obviously it might not work though, so you might have three individuals or a due and a singlet.

I've actually thought about that before. I've read about some having better luck with a trio when the initial duo weren't working out. Plus I've also thought that it would be nice for Charlie to have a friend even if Carmel still refused. And of course the best part of all would be having another fuzz butt in my life!

But knowing my luck I'd end up with 3 singles :headsmack. Which I'd definitely be ok with when I have my own home and more room. But we live in a one bdrm apartmentso I can't right now.:( I wish I could though, I'd love to have my own little small herd.:)

Maybe it's a Missouri Rabbit thing ;) Ansel is quite opinionated, can be nippy and hates to be picked up.

Other than that, she is great. :devil

I keep telling her that one of these days she'll meet her match (or better) and then she had BETTER look out!

Well, I have a wild rabbit and domestic rabbits and I would say there is very little difference in the two's behaviour. Pretty much all pet rabbit behaviour has it roots in wild behaviour.

It's had to say what your rabbit is thinking without knowing more but here are some reasons behind aggression , which I presume is the issue?

Wild rabbits live in friendly social groups but fiercely defend these against outsiders. The male rabbits are responsible for defending the wider territory, the dominant male patrols the boundaries, marking and challenging any interlopers. If a rabbit fails to back down before the dominant male then a fight will develop.

The females defend their warren tunnels, those high up the ranking have the best nest sites. Any rabbit sticking their nose where is doesn't belong will get lunged at.

When bonding two rabbits you're basically artificially adding an interloper into a warren. That's why neutral territory is important so neither rabbit is on the defensive. Some rabbits are more dominant than others so some bondings are easier. If you pick to dominant rabbits there is a lot more for them to work out than if you pick a dominant rabbit and a sub-ordinate that doesn't want to contest the others position.

Things like poor eye-sight, bad past experienced, not being neutered etc. can all effect how an introduction goes as well.

Tamsin

Latest posts

Back