MBH's Foster Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AngelNSnuffy, sports mode should work fine ifthe flash is working, however as far as darkness, sports mode worksbest when outdoors with natural light. Indoors, I always get darkerpictures too and I usually have to convert to auto mode instead to getthe lighter pics.

Me and the buns are headin' to bed for thenight. Before we go, here'stwo pictures of Merri posingpretty that I took just a minute ago.

Tomorrow, I'll update with some new photo's of Lily, and some photo'sof Willow when I go to the rescue to pick him up to bring to the vet'sin the morning. He won't look his handsom little self, he looksextremely bad right now because he is so sick. Prayers for our littleguy!

merri-cage1.jpg

merri-pose1.jpg

Oh my, I love Willow, I really hope he's ok!!

And I'm really hoping Trixie and Rebel get adopted into a super home :pray:

Back from the vet with Willow!

Well he's been having diarrhea for a week, and what I didn't know was,he had been having it off and on for a month and no one told me this.Well, I took him to the rescue's vet this morning and she did a fecaland said he had Coccidia and sent us on our merry way with some Albon.No instructions or anything. Fine.

Well, I was in town all day with him and he stayed in his carrier(which is huge compared to his little size!) and I noticed throughoutthe day how sick he looked. I never seen him much at the rescue, so Ireally didn't realize how bad he was. Well, around 2pm when I washeading for the drive back home, I noticed how cold he was, limp, andwas breathing VERY slowly. I rushed him to MY vet, and after some testshe said that he was extremely dehydrated, very malnourished, and thathis organs were failing. He was also anemic and his blood glucose wasvery low.

He also said on top of the very bad Coccidia he had Enteritis. He saidthat the rescue's vet (which I don't like anyways) neglected to tell usthat the Albon is very strong and will send him into kidney failure ifhe isn't extremely hydrated. Well, he was extremely dehydrated and thealbon was already causing his kidney's to fail! All in a matter ofhours. And I'm just so aggrivated that no one at the rescue who DID seehim everyday, like my friend, neglected to pick up on just how sick hewas and try to do anything about it.

Anyhoo, Willow is now on Albon 1x a day, Kaopectate - 1mL 3x a day,Simethicone - 0.3mL 3x a day, and he's on SubQ fluids with addedglucose - 30mL once a day via an IV drip. He's also on Pedialyte mixed50/50 with water, as much as he'll take 3x a day. This is all per MYvet's orders, and he also wants him on some Nutrical for the calories.Had I listened to the rescue's vet, he'd be dead by morning said myvet. He looked nearly dead by the time I GOT him to my vet. I'm beyondaggrivated.

My poor little man. On top of being very POed, I'm so worried abouthim. The vet said at this point, he has a 50/50 shot. Anyways, he'shome with me now and he's also been officially adopted by me. If andwhen he gets better, he'll be neutered and pending a good bondingexperience, he'll be the proud husband to Merri.

I am kinda just aggrivated.

I kept being told that Willow had 'mushy poo' and a little bit of soft stool.

No, when I got there, Willow was caked in brown liquid all over hisbottom. I had NO idea he was this bad off, and it was such a shock tome when I finally had him with me today. I finally realized just howsick he was, and that just made ME sick to think about.

Hopefully everything the vet has him on will help and he'll start feeling better soon.

I'm sure your vet has already told you this - so I really hesitate to post it but I will.

It is my understanding that coccidia is pretty contagious. I'm surehe's probably in a different room than your other rabbits but I justthought I'd point that out. (I'd be more worried about that than aboutwry neck).

A breeder friend did a co-breeding with someone else for pick of thelitter. Well...when she brought the pick of the litter home - he turnedout to have cocci....she was treating him with meds and pushing foodand fluids into him every 2 -3 hours for days. It passed on to othersin her herd (especially the younger ones) and she wound up not onlyhave to treat everyone - but also losing at least one other rabbit.

I would suggest talking to your vet about getting something to use withthe other rabbits in your house as a preventative measure. I have someCorrid here that I'm going to use to treat my herd in the next few daysjust as a preventative - especially since I'll be bringing new rabbitsin from Nationals.

Just my .02

Peg

P.S. editd to add - it cost my friend over $300 on meds totreat her herd - I want to say the meds she had to use were like $72per bottle - and the buck who brought it into the herd - didsurvive...but he almost died like 2 weeks later when he relapsed andshe fought the cocci with him for 2 months or so - off and on.

He's housed in my room with Merri, but theyaren't in the same cage. Both vets said, as well as online references,that they have to come in contact with the poo and ingest it to get it.(They actually said the most common form of contraction is for one topoop in the water, contaminate the water, and then the rest drink fromit and you have the entire cage of rabbits infected).

Not only that, but he was housed up against, on top of, and underseveral other rabbits for nearly a month. And none ever got sick, justhim. Because they didn't come in contact with him.

Merri's not near him, she's housed in a separate cage and I am washingmy hands and changing shirts after handling him each time.

When Charlie had coccidiosis - it was before heand Misty were really bonded, and my vet toldme that ifCharlie had coccidia, they would just asume Misty had it too because itwas so contagious if they were ever in the same play area.*shrug*

Maybe preventative measures would be safe seeing that all your bunsplay in the same area outside.. and the all mostly have compromisedimmune systems or under some kind of stress from being a rescue etc.

Thanks Nadia for adding this - I wasn't sure asI've never had it in my herd. I know my friend is a fanatic aboutcleaning and disinfecting and when it happened to her - she wasdevestated. If there is anyone who really is careful about diseaseprevention it is her and she's taught me a lot of what I know.

However....I guess go with whatever the vets say - I know I'm no vet!

Peg

HoneyPot wrote:
When Charlie hadcoccidiosis - it was before he and Misty were really bonded, and my vettoldme that if Charlie had coccidia, they would just asumeMisty had it too because it was so contagious if they were ever in thesame play area. *shrug*

Maybe preventative measures would be safe seeing that all your bunsplay in the same area outside.. and the all mostly have compromisedimmune systems or under some kind of stress from being a rescue etc.

Willow's not playing outside and won't beallowed to play in the same area as the other's until his 10 days ofAlbon is up and he's cleared from the diarrhea. I'll probably getanother fecal done in 10 days to be certain.

Any area he does play in (like a sectioned off part of the kitchen)will be bleached thoroughly before any of the rabbits can play there.

I wasn't that concerned (and still not, really) about the other'sgetting it because everywhere I've read said it's only passed throughthe ingestion of infected feces. If they aren't housed together, oreating poop from him, then they can't get it, especially since it isn'tairborne either.

Ok well, just as a side note for you - bleach will NOT kill coccidia, you'll have to use Ammonia for disinfecting.

Good luck with your guy. :)

________
Nadia

Latest posts

Back