Mayday Mayday! Its Spay Day...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVIE

~RUBY AND ROSEY RUM BUNS~
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know almost all of you have been through this before and mostly, I assume, with success. But im sure you remember the fear of that day, well at least if you're a wussy like me. I think a few of us are going through this today @gelliebean for one. So please go through this with me today. (we can move this to blog department if that makes more sense).

So far I've made her lunch, individual bags of salad, hay and pellets. Laid out her carrier and her water bowl, all carefully labelled with her name like she's being shipped out to summer camp. Sitting with her, waiting for action time to trick her into carrier. Singing Christmas carols hoping she won't pick up my panicky feelings.

Aww, I was so nervous too but Theo did great! Praying for y'all today (her in surgery and recovery, and for you to not worry)!

I was so nervous for Oreo's spay! You're doing everything right! I hope all goes well!

Well she is at the vet's (HRS recommended Dr), the tech was handed one pissy red-headed bun who hates car rides, but she took it in stride. Lunch box delivered and request for 5 days of pain medication put in (THANK YOU forum for the education to know what to ask for) put in. They also offered me nail trim, microchip, ear wash, flea med. I opted for the nails and fleas. The techs name is Holly, remembered in case I need to hunt her down later (jk).
I'm home now... Going to spend some time deep cleaning cage and setting up for convalescence. Gotta clear my head, I'm imaging her fear with each step of her journey today. I call at 4:00 EST to check on her. Six hours and 17 minutes.

If she hasn't gone in for surgery yet and you are able to phone them now, I always like to have them take a quick look at their teeth while they are under. It's the best way for the vet to get a good look at them while the rabbit is sedated. But it will depend on your vet if they are willing to add a couple minutes for a quick check.

And remember to keep her warm when you get her home. They get cold after having anesthesia, and are less inclined to eat if cold.

I know almost all of you have been through this before and mostly, I assume, with success. But im sure you remember the fear of that day, well at least if you're a wussy like me. I think a few of us are going through this today @gelliebean for one. So please go through this with me today. (we can move this to blog department if that makes more sense).

So far I've made her lunch, individual bags of salad, hay and pellets. Laid out her carrier and her water bowl, all carefully labelled with her name like she's being shipped out to summer camp. Sitting with her, waiting for action time to trick her into carrier. Singing Christmas carols hoping she won't pick up my panicky feelings.

My girl just hit her cranky hormonal stage, I'm so happy to see her again once I pick her up. She already hates the carrier because she knows it means she's going in the car, but today she hissed at me for the first time ever when I tried to get her in.

She sleeps in my bed with me (she's free roamed) and I already know I will be experiencing major protest when she goes on cage rest for the week. I'll also have to take away her sandbox.

Exactly one hour till the check up call.
The vets told me they would call when she's awake and up and about. I'm thinking of calling in an hour as well. It's been five hours since I dropped her off but not sure when the actual surgery took place. It's just after 1PM for reference.

Update for you @AVIE !

They just called saying the surgery went great and she just started to slowly wake up. She's already eating a little bit of hay and I will go to pick her up in a half hour.

@gelliebean Okay, I just got off phone too. She is still not quite awake yet, but apparently she was the last surgery so no worries, she can't leave till she eats, but they are assuming she will be good by 6. Sooooo... Successful so far! I spent the whole day breaking down her enclosure and rebuilding to a 2x 4, for her convalescence (sp?).

Attachments

• 1207201612a.jpg
    1207201612a.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 14
There's a heating pad under her bolster bed there
Lovely set up for her! My girl is usually free roam and I know when she is less drugged up, she will be very upset she’s locked in an pen. What a little trooper tho, she hops up on her bed, realizes she has to pee, goes to her little box and falls asleep in there for a while.
No interest in eating or drinking yet. Hopefully that ceases in a couple hours, or else I’ll have to whip out the critical care. Poops are normal though.

She's home, but still hasn't eaten of her own accord... She's grunting, never heard that before... This is scary, but I realize she's scared and in pain. Sitting on heating pad and not moving, that at least is good. Going to give her some quiet for an hour and then try water again before I start with syringe. Does this all sound normal?

She's home, but still hasn't eaten of her own accord... She's grunting, never heard that before... This is scary, but I realize she's scared and in pain. Sitting on heating pad and not moving, that at least is good. Going to give her some quiet for an hour and then try water again before I start with syringe. Does this all sound normal?
I think the grunting could just be her telling you she wants to be left alone. I’m making my girl a diy heat pack with some rice and a sock right now. That’s sounds normal for sure. Do you have some advice for force feeding water? Is it similar to regular syringe feeding? I was thinking of just making her critical care extra watery to try and get some fluids in her.

this is her setup linked below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 8
They said just like meds, syringe into side of cheek. I'm feeling better now that she ate and she's asleep.
I love your Ikea bed... Maybe for her birthday..

At 1:30 AM, after an evening of forced feeding (and a few occasional pellets) and forcing water... and one scared bun mom wondering if I will need to call vet in am, it happened! We had a poop... Just one poop! The greatest poop I ever saw. Nothing much happened after that other than just the constant demand for petting. At this point I'm having a hard time staying awake. I go lay down for a few. At 4:00 am I come to check and lo and behold there is poop everywhere! Probably 30 of them! Tiny and hard, and two with string. At this point the realization hits me that all these threads I read every day are sinking in. When I saw those different types of poops I recognized them and understood exactly what was going on with my bun. Then I saw her go in her little flat litter box, lift her tail and squat down. Amazing, I've never actually been able to see that happen before. Although I know I probably have... But didn't recognize. But at this sleep deprived moment, it was clicking. Not just the educated expectation but the understanding. Ruby comes over and leans heavily against my arm and forces her nose down into my hand and nudges hard. I pet her for the next half hour and she purrs, repeats when I get up... And again...and again. I know this is a long post and most have gone through it before, but I just hope that someone else may benefit by going through my experience step by step. I know she's going to be fine now and I'm pretty sure we had some serious bonding this morning. She is my heart. Thank you for listening to my ramblings.

Latest posts

Back