Maybe saved infant wild baby rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief221

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’ve had four newborn wild baby rabbits tucked into a nest in my backyard. They have been perfectly fine the past couple days. I’ve saw mom come and nurse them the past two nights but last night we got a storm and I woke up to them all soak and wet. They were barely moving and on the verge of death. I brought them in my house in a shoe box with paper towel and some hay. I blow dried them on low until they were dry and moving again. All four of them seem to be fine and back to the way they were in the nest outside. I’m planning on leaving them inside for a few more hours to keep them warm and dry because it isn’t done raining yet. Is there anything I should or shouldn’t be doing? Thank you all.

Like Blue Eyes said, put them bacck soon! If it isn't raining extremely heavy then put them back and watch and wait for mom. if she doesn't come around within a day then she's probably abandoned them so they're under your care. Feed them some formula and then put them back in the nest and keep watching for mom (feed them 2 a day or more deppending on they're age). It might be a good idea to get a trail camera or something so you will always know if she came or not. If 3 days go by and no mom then shes officially abandoned them. How old are they? Depending on they're age theres different formulas and such. I'm sure you can look into it and do research👍

Would it be a good idea to put some cover over there nest so they don’t get soaked again but something where the mother can get to the babies just fine?

They're still pretty young... I would continue to wait for momma and feed them twice a day. Theres alot of different formulas but you can use kitten milk replacer or goats ,milk and if you get kittem milk replacer add 1 tablespoon of 100% heavy whipping cream (NO SUGAR) to the can.
I recommend you use a sterile oral syringe because most kits won't nurse off regular animal nipples for like cats.

Cover up the nest with leaves and stuff (don't suffocate the kits of course) try to make it as identical to what she made before. You probably won't see mom because she only comes to the nest very few times a day and only for a few minutes to nurse her kits so it's probably bets not to mess with them. The best way to tell if mom has been coming is to feed them is every couple hours look in on the kits. They might have a "milk belly" which is when they're tummy is whiter and full of milk *its pretty easy to tell* they won't have milk bellies everytime you check on them because she only comes like twice a day. As long as you see this once shes found them and everythings fine.
If you have anymore questions or concerns I'll try to answer them asap

The nest she used is still there and the pulled out hair but it is really soaked I could put something at the bottom like paper towel or some hay I use for my own rabbits for bedding. I can just cover the nest with everything she used including the hair so she can know where they are.

Yeah If the nest is still wet I'd put some hay in it but just enough so that the kits arent on soaking wet ground but not too much so its not too different from how mom made it.

Baby bunnies are in the nest I put some bedding at the bottom and clean fresh hay also for some dry bedding and covered them up with a little bit of dry hay and the nest momma used first with the pulled hair. I have a patio table over the nest so the rain doesn’t get to them tonight and momma is able to get to them very easily. I hope she comes back for them and nurses them tonight I will keep a close eye.

Latest posts

Back