Maybe kinda thinking on having a bunny in my life again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
So, it's been a little over 10 months since I lost Sakura. The old regulars here will know about her, but for those that don't, she was the coolest little nethie and she was my best buddy.

When she passed I gave up on rabbits, just lost all interest. I stopped coming here as often, and just felt really strange seeing everyone happy with their bunnies.

I still miss her just as much, but I am slowly coming around to the idea of having a rabbit again. I don't want to rush into anything though.

Since losing her my life has changed a lot, I moved to a completley new part of town, my partner lost his job, and we are both I.T students now. We've moved to a very small 1 bedroomed flat (teeny ground level apartment, in case some of you don't say flats where you live :))...well it's two bedrooms, but the second one is so small I don't even see how you'd get a single bed in there. Since we came from a large 3 bedroom house, it's crammed full of junk anyway...boxes, car parts, bits of furniture.

My point being is that I don't really have any room in the house for a bun, not on a perminant basis anyway. Plus the fact that we both get very bad hayfever this time of year and bunny fur flying around the house doesn't help.

However we have a great little back yard, it's very quiet and private and plenty of room for a large bunny hutch.

I was looking at this one:

hutch.jpg

It's pretty pricey but it's solid and well made, at $330 NZ (maybe almost $200 US). I would add a roof to the entire top though, and perhaps a few more modifications to make it a bit more sheltered from any sun/rain/wind. There are other hutches selling for the same price that aren't even half the size and made of real flimsy wood.

The doors are all able to be padlocked which is great.

It is 150cm (59") long, 100cm (39") tall and 70cm deep (27.6"). So it's certainly a great size for a small rabbit. It's longer than I am tall!

What do you guys think? What would you do to improve the hutch? Any tips from those that keep bunnies outdoors? I used to but haven't done so for a very long time.

Ok, now onto the fun part, choosing a bun! :biggrin2:

I've been talking with the lady who bred these little guys and next weekend I'm going to go and meet with her, and see if one of these buns would be suitable. Excuse their user name on the pics, it's from an online buy/sell site.

bunner1.jpg

bunner2.jpg

bunner3.jpg

Anyway, I guess that's about it? I waffled on a bit, but it's been so long since I bun-talked :p.

Any little bits of advice or anything you guys could offer would be great...been so long that I am rusty with what to check for when looking a bunny over.

Michelle

I remember Sakura, gorgeus little bun :) I'm glad you feel ready to get another bunny! I can't imagine my life without them now :)

Anyways, I think the hutch looks pretty good :)As long, of course, that the bunny gets some time for excercise with I'm sure it will :)

Those babies are seriously adorable! Go for it! :)

Oh - I remember Sakura- it was so hard when you lost her.

These buns are adorable and I really like the hutch although as you said - I would make some modifications to it...

Those bunnies look awfully young - I know you're going to see them in a bit - but I'd try to have them stay with their mama till they're 8 weeks old....

They are soooo adorable though. I hope you get one and become more active here so we can see lots and lots of pics.

Yay Michelle your back! :biggrin2:How are you? for $330 can you build one? Or know any one that can? I made mine for200 but looking back I didn't need any of the linoleum so could of got it for about $170-ish....it looks like [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F1wO3YLNhk]this [/ame]its about 2mlong and 90cm wide and about 1m high. I just went down to mitre ten mega and they chopped up the wood for me to the needed sizes. I'm very excited for you and cannot wait to see what bun bun you end up with :)

Hey Phoebe! Nice to see you :D, and I am very well.

Yep I could build one, but can't where I am sadly :(. Stupid flats, the garage is waaay down the other end by the neighbours (1st) flat. They'd only complain about the noise, and no power down there for drills and what-not anyway.

The cage you made looks awesome! :highfive: I'd love to have something just like that. You did a really good job on it.

And thanks for all the other replies - at this stage the whole bunny thing is still an idea, not completely sure if I'm ready for it or not.

Those babies are 4 weeks old in the picture so not ready to go for quite some weeks anyway.

I may wait till I'm able to build something, not sure. I'd have to ask the neighbours if they'd mind the noise or not, and they are a little bit hard to approach (don't speak English well and they are nervous looking people).

Nice to see all you guys again and I hope you're all well :D

PepnFluff wrote:
Yay Michelle your back! :biggrin2:How are you? for $330 can you build one? Or know any one that can? I made mine for200 but looking back I didn't need any of the linoleum so could of got it for about $170-ish....it looks like this its about 2mlong and 90cm wide and about 1m high. I just went down to mitre ten mega and they chopped up the wood for me to the needed sizes. I'm very excited for you and cannot wait to see what bun bun you end up with :)

I LOVE your accent.....I played the link three times just to hear you talk!

Michelle! I'm so glad to see you on! The bunnies are adorable. Everyone takes a different amount of time before inviting another bunny into her life. I'm happy that you're considering it again. Hold lots, find the right one, don't settle. I just know you'll know the right rabbit when he/she comes to you. The cage looks lovely, as well. I hope you can find a way to cut costs and make one without disturbing your neighbors. :)

TinysMom wrote:
PepnFluff wrote:
Yay Michelle your back! :biggrin2:How are you? for $330 can you build one? Or know any one that can? I made mine for200 but looking back I didn't need any of the linoleum so could of got it for about $170-ish....it looks like this its about 2mlong and 90cm wide and about 1m high. I just went down to mitre ten mega and they chopped up the wood for me to the needed sizes. I'm very excited for you and cannot wait to see what bun bun you end up with :)

I can't understand hardly anything that Phoebe said, LOL!! I have such a terrible time understanding accents. I tried to watch a British zombie spoof film and couldn't understand a word, hahahahhaa!

Welcome back, Miss Thang!!!!

I know what you mean about gettng another bun. I still haven't after Angel. I had a girl at bowling ask me if I should get another before Snuff passes and she's right, but, I'm still scared. Ya know? Ugh. I don't talk to anyone about it (Nobody outside of here besides Hubby understands, ya know?). It sucks. Let's talk about it:hug:!

(Not knocking any bun lovers here of course, just don't wanna dump on you all!)

I'd love to talk to you.

Send me pms!

Crys:hug::highfive:

undergunfire wrote:
TinysMom wrote:
PepnFluff wrote:

I can't understand hardly anything that Phoebe said, LOL!! I have such a terrible time understanding accents. I tried to watch a British zombie spoof film and couldn't understand a word, hahahahhaa!
LOL yeah I think us kiwis have been voted to have like the second "hottest" accents haha. Thanks Peg tehe, I think we should start up that your accent video thing again love hearing other countries espec english <3 <3

BAHAHA! Second hottest? I think that was a spelling error and they meant "second grottiest" perhaps :p

Gosh it's really lovely to see all you guys again...not that I've seen you all as such, but seeing the posts and the bunny pictures and things is great. So much has changed!

Still unsure about a bun, it's my birthday today and my grandma gave me $1,000! I was bowled right over - so I'll set that aside for bun stuff for now. My great grandma passed away on the 18th Setember and left me a bit of money too.

I did do some thinking on that hutch and come up with a new roof:

Capture.jpg

hutchside.jpg

hutchside2.jpg

hutchside3.jpg

Thanks for all the lovely replies, I'm so excited going around the forum reading all the threads.

Elf Mommy wrote:
I love the hutch! Are you going to put something underneath to prevent the bunny from digging under and out?

Or something digging in from the outside.

I thinkit would be more secure witha bottom.....:twocents

;)

mmm... You could make the bottom supporting board a bit wider/taller (or nail another board to it), and put wire across the bottom. Then, dig a shallow hole, (removing the sod gently), and bury the bottom boards in the ground a bit. Fill the inside in with a bit of soil almost up to the bottom of the part where your doors open, then, replace the sod over top. Presto! Your buns would get to play on the grass, and nothing would be able to dig in :)

Latest posts

Back