Max's new home

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnicula

Reaction score
Bunnicula's Castle, S.Central, Pennsylvania, USA
Hi all!

As some of you are aware, we've been looking to find a buck to bond with Gingivere. She doesn't always get along with our other doe (Emmaline)...and Emm has her own "hubby" in Pipkin, anyway. I was going to attempt to bond Gingi with the other 2, but since Emmaline and Pipkin have an extremely loving relationship, I really didn't want to do anything that might change the dynamic of that.

My hope was to find an adult buck with a calm disposition. I checked local shelters, but the right fellow was never there. I have thought about some I've read about here on RO, but I have continued to have this nagging sensation that I should look locally...that there's got to be a bun around here in need of a fresh start. I knew I could go back to where we got all our Holland Lops...but that's usually baby bunnies...and I really don't think Gingi has the patience to endure the teen years with another rabbit.

I even found myself at 2 pet stores in the past week - just looking. I almost adopted a Holland Lop at one...only because the conditions there were deplorable and I wanted to rescue him. Still, he looked depressed and maybe not well...but I didn't...just didn't feel right about him...

I've investigated rabbit rescues. Unfortunately the two closest are over an hour away. Both would require my bringing Gingivere along to pick her mate. She's not a good traveler, though (grinds her teeth - shows obvious stress signs in the car), and I don't want to put her through a long ride if it's not necessary.

So todayI visited another local pet supply store. They carry rabbits from local breeders, but they also have rabbits surrendered by owners that they are seeking to rehome. I fell in love with 2 mini-lops...but both were female, and too young...and not rehomes (which is something I really wanted to do - to give a bun a 2nd chance). There was also a sweet lion head (pretty much maneless) buck. Nice disposition - and they said he'd been there a few months. I was tempted, but he was difficult to handle. While I'm fine with a bunny that doesn't want to be held, he was a bit beyond that.

And then there was Max. Max is a surrendered male Mini Rex. They had pretty much no info on him...the workers weren't even certain he was a male...they just kept saying "we think so." So...I checked myself. Yup! He's male all right! A neuter will be in order for this fella.

I kept going back to visit while shopping. I held him. Petted him. Sat on the floor with him in my lap (which is when I checked his gender - he let me easily turn him over on his back).

Well...he lives here now. WOOHOO!!! I'm going to call the vet first thing Monday morning to schedule an exam and neuter. Then I'll move his cage in the same room with Gingivere. Then the bonding process...

I was going to build Gingi a new NIC palace this weekend. But I think I will wait until I can get the new guy neutered and settled. If they do bond, then I'll build them a home they can share together...and maybe if they are first introduced to it together Gingi won't be territorial about it (she is a cage hog).

I don't think he's going to continue his life as Max. Any name suggestions are welcomed. And here he is:

NewBunny.max011.jpg

NewBunny.max019.jpg

NewBunny.max025.jpg

NewBunny.max010.jpg

NewBunny.max012.jpg

NewBunny.max003.jpg

NewBunny.max008.jpg

He's got the softest fur I have ever touched. It's like velvet. In fact, while sitting on the floor of the store holding and petting him I was reminded of my favorite children's story: The Velveteen Rabbit. And at that moment it was like a lightbulb went on! I felt the tears well up, held him close, and KNEW that he was the one. I didn't choose him because he was the cutest or the most friendly...simply because he was the ONE.

Whether or not he bonds with Gingivere, he's here in his forever home! Wish us luck on our new household adventure.

-Mary Ellen

Aw, what a pretty boy! And he sounds so sweet. Congratulations!

Does he have something solid in the cage so he can rest off the wire? Rexes have really sensitive feet and are prone to sore hocks.

Congrats on the beautiful new boy! You're right though, he does need a new name. The nose spots make me think of Groucho but it doesn't seem to fit him. For some reason I'm all out of boy names that fit him.

Congratulations! He looks adorable. Even just the photos of him make me wanna touch his velvet fur :) I'm bad at thinking of names but if I do have an idea I'll let you know.

Snuggys Mom wrote:
Aw, what a pretty boy! And he sounds so sweet. Congratulations!

Does he have something solid in the cage so he can rest off the wire? Rexes have really sensitive feet and are prone to sore hocks.

Yes, right now there is a towel in the cage for him. (I just couldn't wait to take pics...so I did that before setting up the towel, water, food, & hay.

I never had any bunnies other than Holland Lops, and I am so amazed with this guys petite legs and feet. I am going to spend tomorrow afternoon researching the breed and learning all I can about Rexes.

And this wire cageis a most temporary situation for him. I am sanitizing Emmaline & Pipkin's old cage as we speak (they now have a NIC palace). It's got a plastic bottom. I have Oasis Magic Mats to put on the plastic so that he won't slide around. By tomorrow he'll be in his new digs. Then he'll have much more room and2 shelves to hop onto for a better view.

I've been holding him on and off all day...and he really is a love. He's already made himself at home by throwing his dish of pellets around the cage. lol He'll fit in here perfectly with that rabbitude.

Wow, congrats Mary Ellen! He's adorable. I think the name Dice fits him, because of those four spots on his back leg, visible in the last pic. That or Bill, but I think that's a silly bunny name, lol.

Awww what a cutie :biggrin2:I like pet shops who do that. :)I am glad he is going to have a good home with you. I hope they bond well :biggrin2:Max doesn't suit him at all :p

Congratualtions on your new addition. He's adorable. I hope he bonds with Gingivere, they will make such a lovely couple.

Look forward to more pictures and stories of your new addition. Isn't getting new bunnies fun, I am so amazed at all the little things Winston & Vega have been doing this past week.

Susan:apollo:

Wow he is adorable, congrats!

And personally, I love the name Max (but I have two of them so thats obvious :biggrin2:)

Welcome home little man!

How gorgeous is he? :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2: I love him~ You'll give him a great home, whether he gets bonded or not.

Hmm... My names for animals all tend to be kind of weird.... but... from looking at him... I don't really like Max :p Hmm.. I guess names I think would suit him would be...
Aubrey
Cody
Topaz
Zephyr
Cloud
Breeze

I dunno, haha. I just look at him and it reminds me of a clear sky on a windy day. It's pretty awesome. ;)
Even if he stays Max though, he's definitely going on my bunny-napping list :p

~Diana and Butter

That is how Elvis came to us. He was dumped at the store we go to. He ignored and faught everyone else but for us he danced. He chose us. :biggrin2:

Gratz on the new guy.

Haley wrote:
Wow he is adorable, congrats!

And personally, I love the name Max (but I have two of them so thats obvious :biggrin2:)

Welcome home little man!

Hehehe

Oh, Haley, and I love the name Mr. Tumnus. But 2 Mr. T's on RO would get confusing. And one Tumnus is enough.

Our pet sitter loves the bunnies...and she is a Disney wack-o. She has wanted us to give our next bun a Disney rabbit name. Well, it won't be Thumper. There are just too many of those, too. And RO's Lord Thumper probably wouldn't have any of it, anyway. (The last thing a new RO bun wants to do is offend LT :biggrin2:.)

So, I am looking for something quite original. Zephyr is a cool name (thanks for the idea, Diana). I haven't allowed him out to run yet. Perhaps if he is truly fast, that name will fit just right.

He's so "regal" and "elegant" in his behavior and demeanor (unless you count the fact that his cage looks like a pig sty). I was thinking military names/titles...like some of the hares in Brian Jacques' Redwall series. Or perhaps a "nature-based" name like the rabbits in Watership Down.

With those big Rex ears always at full alert, I feel like I need to salute and say "Aye, aye, Cap'n" every time I leave his presence.

He moved into his bigger cage around 5:00 last evening. Currently I've got him on the screen porch and the others are in their bedroom. I am so anxious for Gingivere to be able to see him...but I won't even put them in the same room until we've gotten a clean bill of health from the vet. I hope I can get him neutered soon, too.

Here are some pics of Capt. Slob-O enjoying his breakfast this morning:

NewBunny.max032.jpg

As you can see here, he has no regard for order. He is NOT litterbox trained in the least. Keeping hay in a rack is against his personal belief system. And he thinks the recycled paper litter should be strewn about the cage as decoration.

NewBunny.max031.jpg

NewBunny.max030.jpg

Well, at least he'll fit in with the other sloppy buns here. :whatevah

-Mary Ellen

Congrats on the new addition!!

He'sa cutie!

I was reminded of the name Vincent or Dominic. I totally like the name Captain as someone suggested.

My gosh,he's gorgeous!....whoa,if i was a little girl bunny,i wouldn't mind him being my little hunny bunny ;)

cheryl

Okay, so I'm still doing the name search here...

Some ideas:

Basil, Julian,or Captain Snow (Redwall characters)

Admiral Dewey, Major (continuing with a military theme)

Buckthorn, Captain Holly, or Dandelion (Watership Down characters)

Buckminster or Buckshot (following the "buck" theme)

Radar or O'Reilly (M*A*S*H character)

Rocket, Zephyr, or Zip (man, is he fast!)

Velvet, Velveteen, or Velour (he's soooooooooo soft)

Catnip (he may need to nip one of our 10 cats one of these days :biggrin2:)

Oh...and a ton more. But those are some faves. Any thoughts? He's very regal. Very full of himself. Quick. Strong.

Why is it that some times names come right away and other times they are agony?

*sighs*

-Mary Ellen

Latest posts

Back