Matting!!! Oh No!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My male mini lop (approx7 years) snuck into my female Flemish (approx 1yr) cage and started matting. Neither is fixed they are kept apart for this reason. He did not have long but we all know it does not take much, what should I watch for in her just Incase he did impregnate. Flemish female is about 18 lbs mini lop is male. Stupid move I was cleaning cages while taking turns exercising guess I did not close the Flemish well

My male mini lop (approx7 years) snuck into my female Flemish (approx 1yr) cage and started matting. Neither is fixed they are kept apart for this reason. He did not have long but we all know it does not take much, what should I watch for in her just Incase he did impregnate. Flemish female is about 18 lbs mini lop is male. Stupid move I was cleaning cages while taking turns exercising guess I did not close the Flemish well
When they were together did you see the male fall to the side??

You have no idea if he "got it in" or not as not all rabbits will fall over..... thats just bad advice.

Michele you will need to be prepared.
You can try offering a next box around day 28 or so to be ready. Dont allow free time after that either incase she does kindle. Hopefully a knowledgeable breeder will pop by and find your post.

You have no idea if he "got it in" or not as not all rabbits will fall over..... thats just bad advice.

You can try offering a next box around day 28 or so to be ready. Dont allow free time after that either incase she does kindle. Hopefully a knowledgeable breeder will pop by and find your post.
Umm I've been breeding for over 20 years and my males have always fallen over even my friends males have. She said she caught him mid action so they probably didn't have enough time. Even she said he may be to small for her it's highly unlikely that she's pregnant.

She also said they did not have long. I've never had rabbits mate quickly. It's always taken a few days so I doubt she would be pregnant after a few seconds.

I also sent that message as I was getting in my car to go home I was going to send another when I get home which I am now. I was going to tell her to be ready but it was highly unlikely that she is pregnant.

Size doesnt mean anything for rabbits. And if they had time to do anything then there is a good chance she is pregnant.

You can't say stuff like that.
Size is very important in rabbits, all breeders know this. And even she said that they weren't together long. All breeders know that rabbits don't breed like rabbits. It takes time. And I'm just giving my opinion

As a breeder I know that size doesn't matter, once a 3lbs wild buck knocked up my 10lb doe - there might be more extrem pairings, but I'm pretty sure rabbits are very good at that stuff.
About him not finishing - I recently saw a Brexit protest sign that said "Pulling out never works", true for humans, so I wouldn't bet that rabbits are safe from that.

Fastest accidential breeding that I witnessed was done in way less than a minute. When they are in the mood they are fast, but granted, that was a very experienced doe with a long history of surprise litters - I still have no clue whatsoever how she managed it last year.

Rabbits only don't breed like Rabbits when you want them to breed, that's really true :D, but leave a gate open for just the blink of the eye and the deed is done.

So, everything is possible, but better be prepared anyway - it isn't so much work and you'll sleep better.
My bet too would be that she's not pregnant, but I've seen too much to take any risks at that.

Last edited:
Thank you, I know it’s unlikely but I am one of those worry wart pet parents and I don’t want to become a pet grandmother. I have no idea for sure if he can reach or did enough. They are separated 100 percent of the time for this very reason. But I have no idea what to look for in signs of pregnancy in the unlikely event... my little brat did get his way. At 7 years he was always the only rabbit I did not want to have him fixed due to his age... why I always never let them be together

Umm I've been breeding for over 20 years and my males have always fallen over even my friends males have. She said she caught him mid action so they probably didn't have enough time. Even she said he may be to small for her it's highly unlikely that she's pregnant.

Sorry, but we breed/show rabbits, too, and not ALL bucks fall over, though the vast majority do. We used one of our bucks on a fellow breeder’s doe. We thought the same thing...that because he attempted to mate 4-5 times (ie didn’t fall over) we thought it was a failure. One month later the doe had a litter of kits...his kits. I would discount the buck being too small also...you’d be surprised.

Yes I know it’s unlikely but it doesn’t take much so I wanted to know what to look for Incase it did happe

Be prepared, just in case! If the buck and doe are ready you’d be surprised how fast it can happen! Hope she’s not, but it’s safer to just assume she is and be thankful if she isn’t.

Last edited:
Be prepared, just in case! If the buck and doe are ready you’d be surprised how fast it can happen! Hope she’s not, but it’s safer to just assume she is and be thankful if she isn’t.
Thanks besides nesting behavior anything I should keep eye out for that would indicate pregnancy. Ugh so mad at my male he is lucky he is adorable and I love him lol

As a breeder I know that size doesn't matter, once a 3lbs wild buck knocked up my 10lb doe - there might be more extrem pairings, but I'm pretty sure rabbits are very good at that stuff.
About him not finishing - I recently saw a Brexit protest sign that said "Pulling out never works", true for humans, so I wouldn't bet that rabbits are safe from that.

Fastest accidential breeding that I witnessed was done in way less than a minute. When they are in the mood they are fast, but granted, that was a very experienced doe with a long history of surprise litters - I still have no clue whatsoever how she managed it last year.

Rabbits only don't breed like Rabbits when you want them to breed, that's really true :D, but leave a gate open for just the blink of the eye and the deed is done.

So, everything is possible, but better be prepared anyway - it isn't so much work and you'll sleep better.
My bet too would be that she's not pregnant, but I've seen too much to take any risks at that.

Just curious, how big were the Flemmies kits? Good thing it was the doe who weighed more. It would be scary if it was the other way around. I haven't seen rabbits do this, but definitely seen dogs mate that are nowhere near close in size. When the other poster was asking if they 'fell over', it reminded me of my little Holland lop x lionhead. He wasn't fixed when I first got him and he would hump anything and everything. Quite often it would be my arm! I would try to calmly explain to him that I was his MOMMY and he shouldn't be doing those rude things to me, so I got him a stuffed giraffe. That poor giraffe got a lot of pounding! One day I was cooking in the kitchen, he was in the living room playing with Henrietta (the giraffe), and I suddenly hear the loudest squeal! I was so scared! I thought he must have caught his foot in something, it was so loud. I ran in, and looked, and he was on his back. The giraffe was lying beside him, and I realized he'd just been delirious with pleasure! I bought him a cat tent and put Henrietta in there. When I had company over, they would be telling me how cute he was and how tame, when he would hop into his tent and it would start rocking and shaking all over the living room rug. :) Thanks for reminding me. <3

I just want to say I was just giving my opinion and what I have experienced. When I sent the message I was in a rush and I forgot to say she "might" not be pregnant. I know there is a possibility but I was just explaining that it was unlikely.

I just want to say I was just giving my opinion and what I have experienced. When I sent the message I was in a rush and I forgot to say she "might" not be pregnant. I know there is a possibility but I was just explaining that it was unlikely.
Yes I know that but I also know my luck lol so want to be prepared just in case

Thanks besides nesting behavior anything I should keep eye out for that would indicate pregnancy. Ugh so mad at my male he is lucky he is adorable and I love him lol

Not really. Some does act more hormonal in pregnancy but many do not. Mark your calendar the date it happened and on day 28 or so watch her for nesting behavior. Give her plenty of hay and a nestbox if you see her trying to nest.

Latest posts

Back