Matted fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Kimball

Reaction score
Hi guys! I just got an 8 week old holland lop but his hair is super long, more like my lionlop’s. His hair is fairly matted, I don’t think the woman really brushed him. I dont want to hurt him but I want to get the mats out! It seems to be bothering him he is grooming a lot. Any tips?

Hello! Do you have any pictures of his fur? If it’s matted, I’d gently comb it out and see if I can get the matted fur out but it you can’t, it is an option that you cut the matted fur out. If you choose to do so, cut very carefully and not to close to the skin. His fur will grow back afterwards, especially since he is very young still. Rabbit Grooming Basics | The Rabbit Haven

It’s kinda hard to tell because he is white but its matted all on his sides right behind his head! I’m assuming because he can’t reach there. I just don’t wanna hurt him by tugging at it but its really close to the skin

Attachments

• 30F57921-8750-4B28-8A52-61319A8BBFB1.jpeg
    30F57921-8750-4B28-8A52-61319A8BBFB1.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 4
Just like Apollo's Slave said, I would brush him and see if you can get the mats out. If they still won't come out I would cut them but very gently. You don't want to nick his skin. Has he gone through a molt recently? I have realized that my fluffy cats get huge mats, but I don't cut them out because when they shed all the mats just fall off. Maybe that would happen to him?

I’m not sure! I just got him on Saturday. Ive tried using just this soft brush so I don’t bother him but doesn’t seem to be working. Maybe I’ll just cut the worst one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 6
Could you order a slicker brush? That soft brush likely won’t get any matted fur out because it is so soft. Something like this would work better. It won’t hurt him if you do it softly. Kerbl Soft Slicker Brush for Rabbit, 16 x 6 cm: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

If you decided to cut it yourself, do it slowly and not too close to the skin. If your worried, you could have a rabbit groomer do it. But it’ll likely be hard to find one due to covid

thank you! I will try to find a better brush, I’m just worried it will hurt him to pull at it! I’ll just have to be super careful. I’ll try watching the videos before I do it

Also, I use a flea comb with a rubber band weaves through it. It’s basically a fur buster comb but wayyy cheaper. It doesn’t hurt their skin unless you brush too hard

He is definitely not a pure Holland lop. Looks more like a Lionhead or angora mix . Did you see the parents when you bought him? How old is he?
Yeah he looks like my lionlop when she was a baby! He’s 8 weeks old. My mom saw the parents but I didn’t get to. I did see some siblings though, they looked more like regular holland lops and had short hair. The place didn’t seem super legit though, but he is in good hands now. Either way we love him, he is so sweet!
And thank you for the tips! The rubber band trick sounds useful.

Latest posts

Back