Matted fur and bald spot under chin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura1998

Reaction score
Hi guys, my Dutch has started having clumps of what I think is matted fur under her chin - obviously it’s a very hard areas to assess - certain clumps right under her chin are becoming hard and stiff as if glued together. When I try and feel the area I very easily teased the clumps out with my nails without causing any discomfort to her.... it just came out like hard tiny clumps of hair - however I noticed after I left her with a bit of a bald spot! And have again since found two more matted lumps under her chin .... I don’t know what to do and not sure if this is normal and if bald spots are bad! But at the same time leaving them isn’t good either and it’s in such an awkward place brushing out isn’t and option and too close to the skin to cut the hair! What do I do? Are bald spots okay? Is this normal? If so is there any other way to remove this? Thank you !!

It sounds like it is possible that she has been drooling. Drooling can be a symptom of a dental issue. Can you check to see if this may be happening?
Thank you, how would I be able to tell if she’s been drooling? I haven’t noticed her do it before

Hi guys, my Dutch has started having clumps of what I think is matted fur under her chin - obviously it’s a very hard areas to assess - certain clumps right under her chin are becoming hard and stiff as if glued together. When I try and feel the area I very easily teased the clumps out with my nails without causing any discomfort to her.... it just came out like hard tiny clumps of hair - however I noticed after I left her with a bit of a bald spot! And have again since found two more matted lumps under her chin .... I don’t know what to do and not sure if this is normal and if bald spots are bad! But at the same time leaving them isn’t good either and it’s in such an awkward place brushing out isn’t and option and too close to the skin to cut the hair! What do I do? Are bald spots okay? Is this normal? If so is there any other way to remove this? Thank you !!

Hi! is there redness? or scaly skin?

Thank you, I can’t see any parasites under her chin but maybe it is? She doesn’t seem to have itching though? Is it serious if they get them?
I would check her fur all over to see if she has mites. If she does you will have to get vet treatment.

Especially if it's wet right after eating pellets or hay (but not if she just ate veggies or after drinking).
Hi! I tried and she isn’t wet after eating which is odd and I can’t see any fur notes - she’s eating fine so don’t think there’s any pain? Managed to get a pictures of the clumps today - tried putting warm water on it and brushing it through but it’s such an awkward place for her ! Thank you 3D03D613-AEEB-4001-B2DC-249D401A534E.jpeg

It doesn't look like drool, so maybe it is fur mites? Is it like that anywhere else on her? I would use a toothbrush to brush under her chin and see if that would help, Theo really likes it 😂

It doesn't look like drool, so maybe it is fur mites? Is it like that anywhere else on her? I would use a toothbrush to brush under her chin and see if that would help, Theo really likes it 😂

My bunny' ears look exactly this and his ears and nape went bald. I have it checked by a vet via online check up. Her initial assessment was it might be mange mites so she recommended to use Revolution however she would like to see it in person and test it to see (under microscope) what it really is. My bunny's second drop of Revo will be next Tuesday :) I'd say have it check by a vet if there's available :)

My bun gets bald spots when i cut out her matts , but i'm not sure if its normal or not .
So mine is going to the vet , i'd take her to the vet

hiya, no literally just there! I brush it out with water and her brush and it goes and then it forms again a day or so later - she gets cranky about having it brushed but it doesn’t cause her any pain and no redness or mites I can see ☺️ Jealous that Theo likes it would make my life easier if Luna did 😂

Maybe you should check with your vet since it is coming back. You might be able to send them a picture, so you don't have to go in.

Latest posts

Back