Mats again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roo1234

Reaction score
I recently got a Holland lop, I have had him for about 1-1 1/2 months. His hair is about 3/4 inch long. He has developed some small mats which I got out, but then I went on vacation for 10 days leaving him in the care of my grand parents and although they took care of him and my other rabbits it was bare minimum. There was no brushing so now he has mats the size of half a dime on his lower back and around his private parts. They are spread out on his back but not his bum. My mom says not to be concerned and that hill take care of it himself but I’m not sure that’s a great idea

Mats don't usually work themselves out unless they are extremely minor. They actually tend to worsen over time. So I would carefully pick them apart and brush out. What I'm wondering is why your rabbit is getting them so easily. Usually it's only a more common problem in longer furred breeds. Regular furred breeds usually don't have as much an issue with them if they are grooming themselves properly.

I think he might be a little lazy in the grooming or it’s because we left for a ten day vacation by himself. Is there any brushes that you guys can recommend? I currently am using one with plastic bristles kind of like ones you would find on a broom, it works fine for the other rabbits but maybe he needs a better brush than that?

Are there any indications that your rabbit is having trouble grooming? Grooming requires twisting of the body, so I'm wondering if there might be any pain or coordination difficulties.

If he is leaving behind cecotropes, if he seems to intend to reach around and groom but doesn't.... have you actually seen him be able to groom this area before?

Latest posts

Back