Massive death of baby rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shayne

Reaction score
Goodday.

I have lost 29 baby rabbits no older than 8 weeks.
The only thing I could tell something is up before hand is the white ones. Their red eyes turn dark then the jaw clenches and body goes limp and spasmic alternately and they die within a few hours. This happend over a span of 3 weeks. Its a hard blow.
Any insight will be appreciated.

RHD or poisoning would be the likely causes of rapid decline and sudden death like that, when multiple deaths are involved.

Coccidia is another common cause of death and poor growth in young rabbits. Especially if the rabbits are kept in a colony or on the ground. Once its in there it can stay in the soil. Affected rabbits will have white spots on their liver in a necropsy.

Coccidia is another common cause of death and poor growth in young rabbits. Especially if the rabbits are kept in a colony or on the ground. Once its in there it can stay in the soil. Affected rabbits will have white spots on their liver in a necropsy.
After two years I have the same symptoms in my rabbits. I cut one open and found white in the liver. Where can I find more info on it cuz I don't understand half of what google is telling me

Sorry this is happening to you again. It could possibly be hepatic coccidiosis. The link below has necropsy photos of a healthy liver and a liver affected by the parasite, so you can compare what you found from your rabbits necropsy.

(WARNING: LINK CONTAINS GRAPHIC MEDICAL RELATED PHOTOS)
Medirabbit: hepatic and intestinal coccidiosis

Latest posts

Back