Martin's Little Friends Timothy Pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holtzchick

Reaction score
A while ago I read about Martins little friends timothy pellets causing shedding in alot of buns actually I believe I found a thread on this forum somewhere :/ .... I thought eh how bad could the shedding be because its the only decent and nutritional rabbit food I can find here without having to drive half an hour.... Basically I bought Peter a HUGE bag that would last him a few months. I've been feeding it to him since mid November fully or maybe beginning of December and noticed that he does shed like CRAZY.. and it's starting to drive me crazy. I don't mind vacuuming all the time because thats fine, I think it's more when I pet him and I notice theres always huge tumbles of fur rolling around afterwards so it gets all over my bed.

I have a special small animals brush that he doesn't mind, but it's not as good as using my hand and even when I use my hand I find that the shedding is endless, I don't think its a molt, (I don't think one would last this long) but I'm not sure anymore.

Has anyone had the same experience with this food btw it's the regular timothy formula? Any advice? Should I switch foods, If so, what store carries this brand (I'm in Mississauga, Ontario? or is there anything I can do otherwise to help control the shedding?

Thanks so much!
Michelle.

Are your bunnies indoor or outdoor? Indoor rabbits will end up shedding all year round because they are not exposed to the temperature changes.

I use timothy pellets and have no problem, but my bunnies are indoor and I find that at certain times they shed. But I groom them at least three times a week because I know they will shed all year around.

And also I make sure they have lots of hay and water, along with papaya to help fight any hairballs.

K :)

eta: Reread your post and it looks like they are indoor rabbits. You will find shedding a common thing and grooming will resolve it. Unfortunately I vacuum and clean all the time. If I want to stop hair year round, I would put outside so they shed seasonally. But, I love my boys and don't mind the clean up. But remember, the more you groom, the less you have to clean. And grooming is a great way to bond with your bunny.

Thanks for the replies!

I certainly don't mind cleaning up after him, but even while grooming him the grooming just seems endless, he sheds more than a shedding dog or cat! Is that normal for such a tiny bun?!!? I've never actually groomed him to the point where hair is not coming off any more and I try to groom him nearly every time I pet him.

Since I live in an apartment unfortunately putting him outside isn't an option for me.

ALSO... he was not shedding like that before when I had him on his alfalfa pellets... but then again I was also not being able to pet him as he was skittish.

Latest posts

Back