Marshmallow weed???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never heard of a marshmallow weed,..do you mean mushroom,??..do you have alot of these wild weeds??,..do any of the local wild bunnies eat these??.,i would stick with known plants,.ie house of rabbits-toxic plant list--,etc,.until you find out,.sincerely james waller

Not heard of it, wouldn't feed it, same as James said.:) Read up on the things they can ingest. I would not have a pet ingesting things that are no no's. Just read up and you'll have a better understanding of some veggies and flowers and all that.:)

Thanks for your replies.... We have a weed over here called marshmallow....

I can't find it on the list as the list's seem to be American. I can't find an Australia 'feed' list...

im in england and here there is a herb called the marshmallow - my mother grew them but called it a marshmallow plant. try searching - wwwgalensgarden.co.uk

this site has pics of the plant plus plenty of info. tho' definitely would not let your bunnies eat it until you are sure what it is:)

Marshmellow weed (Althaea) is supposed to be one of those "rabbit proof" plants you can put in your garden to keep the rabbits away.

I wouldn't try feeding it to your rabbit, there's probably a reason that it's not one of their favorite foods.

Pam

Thanks very much, that site was helpful and yes that's the Marshmallow that we have here, it's also a weed and a herb over here....

It say's on that site that it's enjoyed my Chinchillas, but doesn't say anything about Rabbits or Guinea Pigs!!!!......

Thanks "pamnock", my husband threw some into them today and they ate it very quickly until I told him Marshmallow is poisonous for animals like cattle, so he took it out until we found out if it was bad for Rabbits and Guinea Pigs.... But they got into it and seemed to like it...

i wouldnt trust it with my buns either! something thats high in vitamin c and suitable for chinchillas doesnt fill me with confidence:rollseyes learning that it's a weed in the rest of the world is interesting - mum was proud of her plant despite the fact that it was hell bent on taking over the rest of her garden - all out war with her mint:D

my local garden centre always has a range of 'rabbit-proof' plants - what none of the staff seem to know is who decided that these plants were bun proof and what could happen if a bun should happen to eat one.:(

Could you post a picture of your plant?
Some of the marshmallows ARE edible, some plants are known as marshmallow but only look like it, or are different mallows.

There is one that is called "cheese mallow", "cheeseweed mallow", or just "cheeseweed" which is much enjoyed by rabbits and people alike :)
It's leaves and seeds can be eaten raw or cooked.

malva_parviflora.jpg

Latest posts

Back