Marking while bonding rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs641

Reaction score
Hey there y’all, I’ve posted a couple times with questions regarding bonding my rabbits. Everything is on the upswing, however, they both have taken to completely SATURATING their crates at night with urine. I have to clean them every day, I have been switching litter boxes, blankets, and water bowls. They no longer fight and are very curious about one another during bonding sessions. How on earth do I get this marking to stop?!? Help!

Did you ever spay/neuter them? Usually, rabbits tend to spray to mark their territory.
Yes, there is a male and a female, both have been spayed/neutered. Before attempting a bond, my previous bun Penny was completely liter box trained, and before the newer bun came, he was completely liter box trained as well.

(I just copied it at the internet) learn more here:
https://lafeber.com/mammals/why-do-rabbits-pee-outside-the-litter-box/
One of the simplest solutions to litter box accidents is to increase the number of litter boxes. A rabbit who has free-roam of one or several rooms might not be able to make it back in time if there’s only one box and it’s more than a hop or two away when Nature calls. If more than one rabbit is using the litter boxes, perhaps a dirty box isn’t acceptable to the rabbit suffering the accidents.

The location of the litter box, type of box, and type of litter are also factors that might meet with rabbit disapproval. If your rabbit consistently has accidents in a certain spot, put a litter box there if it’s a safe location. If accidents are happening all over a room or the house, think about whether the locations have something in common. Are they partially hidden? Put a litter box in a similar location.

Learn more here, maybe it can help you with your situation: Why Do Rabbits Pee Outside The Litter Box? - Lafeber Co. - Small Mammals

Thanks so much for that article. There is no issue other than when they get in their crates at night and completely cover them in urine. I have COPIOUS amounts of litter boxes in all rooms of my house, there is adequate places for them to potty. I know for certain it’s a bonding issue, but they are getting along better each day which is making this confusing.

Thanks so much for that article. There is no issue other than when they get in their crates at night and completely cover them in urine. I have COPIOUS amounts of litter boxes in all rooms of my house, there is adequate places for them to potty. I know for certain it’s a bonding issue, but they are getting along better each day which is making this confusing.
Glad to help and I hope they stop spraying In Their crates since they are spayed and neutered.

Latest posts

Back