Marking Couch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYAngela

Reaction score
Our netherland dwarf bunny is just under 4 months. He’s been litter trained since we’ve got him at 9 weeks other than the random poop in his pen here and there. The last few weeks we’ve been keeping his pen open about 15 hours a day he goes in and out without issue. Then he discovered the couch and nearly everytime he goes on it he pees/poops. It’s clearly not an accident as it happens no where else, he darts back to his pen to pee/poop regularly. When it happens I make him get down, remove the poops, put them in his litter pan and use a pee remover spray. How do I stop this or prevent him from going on the couch. I hate to not allow him to sit with us but I can’t have a poop/pee covered couch!

Note: I have his first vet appointment next month will discuss having him neutered. Anything in the meantime?

Attachments

• A4F2E63F-9F1E-49E9-BC84-E6A2036F4972.jpeg
    A4F2E63F-9F1E-49E9-BC84-E6A2036F4972.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 2
Can't do much with a hormonal rabbit. It isn't unusual for a hormonal rabbit to forget potty habits and/or start spray marking urine. The sooner he gets neutered, the better. Just bear in mind it can take a number of weeks after surgery for hormones to fully dissipate.

Also keep in mind that even neutered rabbits may pee on the couch. Some rabbits can't resist peeing on soft things, and I think couches and beds are especially irresistible as they have our scent all over them(kind of disgusting to say, but true), and they are just trying to add their scent to claim territory. The only way to know if it's just hormones or his natural personality, is get him neutered then see how he is 4-8 weeks post neuter(time needed for residual hormones to clear out).

For now, it's either shoo him off, block access, or put a waterproof cover down. You could also try having a litter box up there for him, or put a blanket of his that already has his scent on it on the couch. He may not feel the need to mark if his scent is already there.

I agree with what Jbun has said. Musti, my previous lop, though having been adult and neutered for a long time, just couldn't stop staining and digging at my bed. He did his stuff nowhere else but his litterbox and my bed. As such when he came to my bed i always cuddled with him or gently nudged him off. Some habits just won't be changed.
But your bun sure sounds like a typical teen.

Also keep in mind that even neutered rabbits may pee on the couch. Some rabbits can't resist peeing on soft things, and I think couches and beds are especially irresistible as they have our scent all over them(kind of disgusting to say, but true), and they are just trying to add their scent to claim territory. The only way to know if it's just hormones or his natural personality, is get him neutered then see how he is 4-8 weeks post neuter(time needed for residual hormones to clear out).

For now, it's either shoo him off, block access, or put a waterproof cover down. You could also try having a litter box up there for him, or put a blanket of his that already has his scent on it on the couch. He may not feel the need to mark if his scent is already there.
He’s fast so if we’re not looking he’s up there so fast! I will try the blanket idea first, I’ll put his fleece blanket in his pen and then on the couch! I’m nervous to try the litter pan, my kids might knock it over! But I will if the blanket doesn’t work! Thanks

Can't do much with a hormonal rabbit. It isn't unusual for a hormonal rabbit to forget potty habits and/or start spray marking urine. The sooner he gets neutered, the better. Just bear in mind it can take a number of weeks after surgery for hormones to fully dissipate.
I need a Saturday appointment because of work, so I need to wait until mid-November for his well visit. Hopefully scheduling the neutering won’t be too long after (although his bits haven’t yet made an appearance)

I agree with what Jbun has said. Musti, my previous lop, though having been adult and neutered for a long time, just couldn't stop staining and digging at my bed. He did his stuff nowhere else but his litterbox and my bed. As such when he came to my bed i always cuddled with him or gently nudged him off. Some habits just won't be changed.
But your bun sure sounds like a typical teen.
Great a teenager LOL

Latest posts

Back