mammary cancer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuttymeg

Reaction score
A few days ago i noticed a rather lumpy mass on my rabbit. She is an english angora but a rather large-not fat-just large english angira at about 10 pounds.

I clipped her a few weeks back and didnt notice any mass at that time. This mass is about an inch from her top nipple. I can pick it up easily. Its not attached to muscle or bone.
she is 3.5 years old and im in discussion with the vet on remkval. This will consist of tumor removal along with a spay.

I understand the risks of surgery but what im wanting to know is....has anyone had this surgery done for mammary cancer and tgeir rabbit lived a normal life afterward? Ive had this rabbit from birth. Shes special to me. I just want to know if surgery will give her a normal life.

I haven't had one with mammary tumors, but did have an older unspayed rabbit that was developing possible uterine problems/tumors and hormonal behaviors associated with it. Which stopped after she was spayed, and she lived another 3 years without issue, until the age of 10 when she died from old age.

So it's possible for them to go on to be fine and live normal lives. But it also depends on the extent of the tumors, where it's spread, and if it's cancerous.

I hope the surgery goes well and your bun will be ok. Please do update on how it goes.

I haven't had one with mammary tumors, but did have an older unspayed rabbit that was developing possible uterine problems/tumors and hormonal behaviors associated with it. Which stopped after she was spayed, and she lived another 3 years without issue, until the age of 10 when she died from old age.

So it's possible for them to go on to be fine and live normal lives. But it also depends on the extent of the tumors, where it's spread, and if it's cancerous.

I hope the surgery goes well and your bun will be ok. Please do update on how it goes.
She saw vet yesterday. Its not right on her mammary gkands but more off to the side. Had a FNA done. Got 3 samples as there are 3 separate lumps branching off one another. She said the sample was beigy in color. Supposed to have results tomorrow.

@nuttymeg Thinking of you and hoping for good news.

Our DVM removed two mammary gland tumors on our girl (after she was spayed). I noticed the lumps also from the many times she was picked up and held. Calls to the DVM for assessment and exam. The lumps were movable, not connected to underlying area, and off to the side as I recall also. I didn't take pictures.

I'm uncertain why the lump grew back a third time, unless not a large enough section of the tumor was removed in the prior surgeries? @JBun, any speculation on the reoccuring tumors?

- I have to go back to our archived report cards from DVM after each exam and surgery was done.

Marietta was a rescued momma giving birth to numerous litters on the street. Capture on 2/6/2006. Babies born 2/25/06. 9 babes born in our home prior to spay surgery scheduled for a few days later.
Marietta did not survive her 3rd mammary gland tumor surgery. Mari passed away under anesthesia on 1/21/14. Heartbroken again, from the loss of another much-loved companion and snuggle friend.

Approx. 10 years old at time of 3rd surgery. Her lungs filled up with fluid during the end of surgery.
I requested a necropsy...

I am also uncertain if pre-surgery CBC/BMP was done to check for dehydration, blood-clotting, liver and kidney function, et al. As I recall, bloodwork was done on our white rex SnowB in the months prior, but labs were not done recently for Marietta. Big regret, but unsure if this would have changed the surgery outcome.

Attaching photo of my much-loved Marietta.

Am hoping your girl will be A-OK, and have many more years with you.

Attachments

• JSBPhotoCR_MariettaLaserTherapyPatientWHollyRST.jpg
    JSBPhotoCR_MariettaLaserTherapyPatientWHollyRST.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back