Malocclusion and accidental pregnancy help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livvy

Reaction score
Back in April we bought 2 lop bunnies. One holland and one mini so I'm told. I've always had pet bunnies but never 2 so I made sure they were both males.
Due to covid I paid over the phone and my husband picked them up. Turns out they are male and female so I've kept them separated. Well I changed their cages and thought their pens were escape proof, they were not and they had all night to roam and hanky panky. Ugggg
I know my holland is pregnant, nest made, babies kicking and super cranky. Based on their escape date she's on day 27 or 28.
Now my holland also has malocclusion. (Her teeth are misaligned and so i have to clip her teeth every so often). It makes me love her more! But I had never wanted to breed her because its genetic, however due to covid i was unable to get her spayed. Go figure the spay clinic i had available is on her assumed due date lmao
Will her malocclusion cause an issue in caring for her kits? I've been researching but there's very little info on malocclusion in general.
She's been grooming all day, I'm assuming shes trying to pull fur but can't cuz she never grooms this much.
Has anyone had experience on pregnancy/kindling with malocclusion?

Malocclusion shouldn't be an issue with caring for the kits. Just make sure there is a lot of hay available and be warned... the babies have a very high chance of getting malocclusion as well.

Malocclusion shouldn't be an issue with caring for the kits. Just make sure there is a lot of hay available and be warned... the babies have a very high chance of getting malocclusion as well.

Thank you. My concern now is her ability to pull fur. Although my house is warm so I don't think that will be an issue.
Yes I was being very careful to keep them seperated until they were fixed knowing she had malocclusion.
And I didn't catch her pregnancy until I found her nest in her hide house. Uggg
Fingers are crossed for healthy non snuggle toothed babies lol

Now my holland also has malocclusion. (Her teeth are misaligned and so i have to clip her teeth every so often). It makes me love her more!
Hi, I had two rabbits with overgrown teeth but they both were males so can't say anything about pregnancy but think if shouldn't be a problem if you keep her teeth trimmed.

May I ask what you use for clipping her teeth? Can you do it at home? Vets usually file them down or use dremel-like tool to trim them. One of my males is 2 years and a half now and he was on a grain diet before I adopted him last December. He had multiple health issues and was bloating so we had to fix that and I've transferred him to no-grain diet, after some time I've noticed his bottom teeth were growing faster and I was going to make an appointment with the vets but also he was offered more hay in different forms and more chewing toys and I was surprised that just in one week after he started eating more hay his teeth were absolutely fine. That was in January perhaps so I keep checking his teeth twice a week at least and they are perfect, just making sure he eats lots of hay and has his chewing toys.

I've done lots of research before going to vets and I've read that clipping is not safe, just wondering how you manage and if you could post a pic of what you use for it would be cool.

Last edited:
Thank you. My concern now is her ability to pull fur. Although my house is warm so I don't think that will be an issue.
If you worry that she is unable to pull fur herself you can help her just keeping her gently you can pull some fur from her belly and chest around her nipples so babies could find them easily. It should be easy to do since her fur will become loose before kindling. But I think she can do it herself probably, just most rabbits prepare their nests a couple days before but start lining it with fur just before kindling, or even after sometimes.

Hi, I had two rabbits with overgrown teeth but they both were males so can't say anything about pregnancy but think if shouldn't be a problem if you keep her teeth trimmed.

May I ask what you use for clipping her teeth? Can you do it at home? Vets usually file them down or use dremel-like tool to trim them. One of my males is 2 years and a half now and he was on a grain diet before I adopted him last December. He had multiple health issues and was bloating so we had to fix that and I've transferred him to no-grain diet, after some time I've noticed his bottom teeth were growing faster and I was going to make an appointment with the vets but also he was offered more hay in different forms and more chewing toys and I was surprised that just in one week after he started eating more hay his teeth were absolutely fine. That was in January perhaps so I keep checking his teeth twice a week at least and they are perfect, just making sure he eats lots of hay and has his chewing toys.

I've done lots of research before going to vets and I've read that clipping is not safe, just wondering how you manage and if you could post a pic of what you use for it would be cool.

My vet actually taught me how to do it. She just uses wire clippers.
But brownies snaggle teeth do stick out quite a ways so its simple to do. They do advise against it because you can Crack the tooth. However she's never seen it happen and said to call her if it does and bring her in. I wasn't too sure at first about doing it myself but it was as easy as trimming nails.

My vet actually taught me how to do it. She just uses wire clippers.
But brownies snaggle teeth do stick out quite a ways so its simple to do. They do advise against it because you can Crack the tooth. However she's never seen it happen and said to call her if it does and bring her in. I wasn't too sure at first about doing it myself but it was as easy as trimming nails.
That's what I heard myself that you can crack the tooth. I would be too scared to use them probably. Can you post a pic of yours perhaps?

I just use these cuz her teeth are so small.

Attachments

• 15949336150124718309150111357185.jpg
    15949336150124718309150111357185.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 19
I tried to get a pic of how crooked they are which makes it easier. Shes not happy when I'm around right now lol hormones lol

Attachments

• 15949337219966636003620517826272.jpg
    15949337219966636003620517826272.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 8
That's what I heard myself that you can crack the tooth. I would be too scared to use them probably. Can you post a pic of yours perhaps?
I absolutely recommend talking to your vet first. I only do it because she showed me exactly how to wrap brownie up so she doesn't get hurt and exactly how to clip them.
This is just what works for my bunny and what the vet told me.

I absolutely recommend talking to your vet first. I only do it because she showed me exactly how to wrap brownie up so she doesn't get hurt and exactly how to clip them.
This is just what works for my bunny and what the vet told me.
Thanks for posting pics, I don't think I could use those but if your vet showed you and recommended, it was probably best for your bun. My rabbit Peter is all good now just making sure he's eating lots of hay and keep checking his teeth but it was only once after his diet change from grain to no-grain and he wasn#t eating much hay, now he's wearing them down himself. I am really sorry for your bun has this problem but if you know how and do it regularly well some people are scared of trimming their nails as well :rolleyes:

Hopefully she'll be fine with her babies and pulling fur, please keep us updated, good luck :)

Thanks for posting pics, I don't think I could use those but if your vet showed you and recommended, it was probably best for your bun. My rabbit Peter is all good now just making sure he's eating lots of hay and keep checking his teeth but it was only once after his diet change from grain to no-grain and he wasn#t eating much hay, now he's wearing them down himself. I am really sorry for your bun has this problem but if you know how and do it regularly well some people are scared of trimming their nails as well :rolleyes:

Hopefully she'll be fine with her babies and pulling fur, please keep us updated, good luck :)

Thank you! Yes it all depends on the bunny. Brownies jaw itself is misaligned so it won't reverse. Shes fine eating hay and pellets and even blueberries occasionally as long as I trim them. So maybe she can pull fur, if not I saw i could use dryer lint or cotton balls to keep them warm.
I'll definitely update when she has them.
I'm trying not hover lol its hard. But I beleive we still have a couple days based on when they escaped and were stuck in cages :( Fingers crossed we get into the next clinic August so they can free roam as planned without another accident :)

Now if she will have babies you'd need to wait 8 weeks she will nurse, but you can neuter your male at least, be aware that after neutering males still able to get a female pregnant up to 4 weeks after that so make sure they are properly separated after his neutering as well, also after giving birth females get very horny so if you can separate them completely so they can't see or smell each other, otherwise they can get very nervous.

Generally you will have to wait at least 6-8 weeks after neutering him before you reintroduce them.
Thank you! Yes it all depends on the bunny. Brownies jaw itself is misaligned so it won't reverse. Shes fine eating hay and pellets and even blueberries occasionally as long as I trim them. So maybe she can pull fur, if not I saw i could use dryer lint or cotton balls to keep them warm.
I'll definitely update when she has them.
I'm trying not hover lol its hard. But I beleive we still have a couple days based on when they escaped and were stuck in cages :( Fingers crossed we get into the next clinic August so they can free roam as planned without another accident :)

Now if she will have babies you'd need to wait 8 weeks she will nurse, but you can neuter your male at least, be aware that after neutering males still able to get a female pregnant up to 4 weeks after that so make sure they are properly separated after his neutering as well, also after giving birth females get very horny so if you can separate them completely so they can't see or smell each other, otherwise they can get very nervous.

Generally you will have to wait at least 6-8 weeks after neutering him before you reintroduce them.

I was planning to move her to my bedroom where its quieter anyways. I didn't think of her being able to smell him. They are a bonded pair and separating them was hard but I was trying to avoid this lol
Yes I had figured I'd get him in for the August clinic and hers later since I am 90% sure she's pregnant. One fixed is better than neither fixed lol
Thank you for that info! I have only ever owned male lops and this is the first time having 2. I figured they wouldn't be lonely this way and I was right lmao

Teeth should never be clipped. High risk of fracture which can lead to infection. No rabbit vet in the UK would clip teeth. If the incisors need correcting frequently the best thing is to have all of them plus the peg teeth removed.

Teeth should never be clipped. High risk of fracture which can lead to infection. No rabbit vet in the UK would clip teeth. If the incisors need correcting frequently the best thing is to have all of them plus the peg teeth removed.

This is simply how my vet does it and she raises rabbits. I haven't had an issue with clipping them the proper way.
I'm not having her teeth pulled thats a bit extreme when it's very easy to manage. Thats alot of stress to put on a rabbit when its not necessary.

This is simply how my vet does it and she raises rabbits. I haven't had an issue with clipping them the proper way.
I'm not having her teeth pulled thats a bit extreme when it's very easy to manage. Thats alot of stress to put on a rabbit when its not necessary.
This is what was done in the UK years ago. It is now considered not acceptable. A lot of progress has been made in rabbit medicine in the last couple of decades. Having the teeth removed is routine surgery for experienced rabbit vets and in the long term far less stressful and much safer than clipping teeth every 2-3 weeks.

This is what was done in the UK years ago. It is now considered not acceptable. A lot of progress has been made in rabbit medicine in the last couple of decades. Having the teeth removed is routine surgery for experienced rabbit vets and in the long term far less stressful and much safer than clipping teeth every 2-3 weeks.

My girls are trimmed about every 4-8 weeks. Shes about 6 months and they've only been trimmed twice. And she hops right onto the blanket that I burrito her in and doesn't flinch at all when I do it. But each bun is different.
The US and UK vary greatly on the subject of rabbits. Ive heard that UK keeps rabbits outside in a garden whereas here they free roam inside and never outside due to predators and stress. (Not sure if its true but thats what I've read).
This is personally how I care for my bun and never ever should anyone trim without talking to a vet first about their options for dental care or really any other care.

Many bunnies in the UK are house bunnies but they can be safe and happy outside - see Outdoor Housing
That was a very interesting read. I can see how there are safe ways of them being outside. Where I live I couldn't even in a nice enclosed area like pictured. We have bobcats and coyotes who can get into anything. Ive also heard of raccoons getting into pens and releasing the rabbits lol

Latest posts

Back