Malnourished or worse?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miacrx

Reaction score
3 months ago we neutered our rabbit . He opened the wound though and it got inflamed so the vet put him on antibiotics without any probiotics which messed up his digestive system. We noticed it was bad only after it got really bad... He lost a lot of weight since he wasn't eating, we took him to anoother vet and they helped, however he is still very malnourished and weak and over all I just don't like the state he's in. He seems to have trouble moving or breathing sometimes. I don't know if it's only from the fact that he's still so weak and will get better if he continues gaining weight or if there's something else wrong on the inside.

What did the 2nd vet tell you? What is he eating now? There may be some underlying problems from being sick and malnourished.

What did the 2nd vet tell you? What is he eating now? There may be some underlying problems from being sick and malnourished.

The second vet said that the most important thing is that he's eating now. They only focused on fixing his digestive track, we fed him recovery food for rabits for a while when he didn't want to eat.
And now he's eating everything he ate before when he was alright, hay, pellets, rabbit food, green vegetables, some fruit...

When I need t fattan up a rabbit I give a tablespoon of kitchen oatmeal twice a day (10lbs rabbits) additionally, sometimes with some drops of sunflower seed oil mixed into it. Easy to digest and quite some calories. Start with small amounts anyway, to get him used to it, although I never heard of any problem.

To help put on weight you might increase his pellets if you’re only giving him a small amount. Keep pushing hay, and as preitler suggested you could add a little old fashioned rolled oats (ex: Quaker) on top of his pellets. Start slow on them if you decide to add it.

Latest posts

Back