Male rabbit problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanice-Lila

Reaction score
Hi. I’m just wondering if anyone knows the safest age to get a male rabbit neutered? I do plan on speaking to my vet tomorrow as well but just wondered if anyone has any advice on here. My male rabbit is currently 14 weeks but he has started to circle me honking and spraying everywhere. Now I know this is normal rabbit behaviour but I would love to get him done ASAP as it’s causing chaos, everything getting dirty and me tripping over him as he’s free roamed, but I know the risks of the op and don’t want to put him at extra risk from getting him done too young.

I'm don't an expert on this procedure whatsoever, but with a quick Google search I found 4-6 months is when it's safe to get him neutered. Of course, if you have a experienced rabbit vet he/she will be able to give you the best age to fix your rabbit.
I feel your pain though, I have a father and son who are the same way. The phase started around 12-14 weeks and ended (for the father) around a year old.

Hi. I’m just wondering if anyone knows the safest age to get a male rabbit neutered? I do plan on speaking to my vet tomorrow as well but just wondered if anyone has any advice on here. My male rabbit is currently 14 weeks but he has started to circle me honking and spraying everywhere. Now I know this is normal rabbit behaviour but I would love to get him done ASAP as it’s causing chaos, everything getting dirty and me tripping over him as he’s free roamed, but I know the risks of the op and don’t want to put him at extra risk from getting him done too young.
I would wait at least one more month (ideally two) if you can put up with his hormones!

Your male is old enough to neuter now. While some vets in the US may wait a little longer, those in the UK tend to neuter sooner. As soon as the testicles descend and the vet is willing, he can be neutered. Here is a quote from RWAF

"Male rabbits can be castrated at any age. If you have taken on young rabbits, it’s best to have them castrated as soon as their testicles descend (10–12 weeks) although take advice from your own vet – some may prefer you to wait a little longer. "

I'm don't an expert on this procedure whatsoever, but with a quick Google search I found 4-6 months is when it's safe to get him neutered. Of course, if you have a experienced rabbit vet he/she will be able to give you the best age to fix your rabbit.
I feel your pain though, I have a father and son who are the same way. The phase started around 12-14 weeks and ended (for the father) around a year old.
Yikes that’s rough. I guess this is just the beginning then 😅

14 weeks is definitely old enough and it's a good idea to have them done before the initially hormonal behaviour becomes learned. Go to a good rabbit vet. Find one here: Rabbit Friendly Vet List

Thanks all. I've Spoken to my vet and they have said he can get done from 16 weeks. I would like to get him done sooner rather than later.

Latest posts

Back