male rabbit honking at the other male

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nat1234

Reaction score
my senior bun will not stop honking when he sees the new bunny we rescued. he honks when he sees him, smells him, or is by the door where he knows his friend is
what does this mean when they're both males?
he also doesn't seem to understand the new bunny
the new one will snort and lunge at him but he doesn't seem to care
(they have only met face to face on accident bc my older one snuck past me but i only introduce by switching rooms daily and i let them see each other through a mesh baby gate

I'm not too knowledgeable on this but I'll try to help, based on what I've read rabbits tend to honk to get your attention or as a sign of aggression, when your senior bun smelt the rescue bun he/she probably felt territorial (even if he/she was fixed this behaviour can be quite common) and this led to the honking, thins often happens when unbonded bunnies smell or see each other, are your going to bond them eventually?

I'm not too knowledgeable on this but I'll try to help, based on what I've read rabbits tend to honk to get your attention or as a sign of aggression, when your senior bun smelt the rescue bun he/she probably felt territorial (even if he/she was fixed this behaviour can be quite common) and this led to the honking, thins often happens when unbonded bunnies smell or see each other, are your going to bond them eventually?
i read that it's a males way of signaling that he wants to mate
it's the same sound he makes when he circles me so i was a bit confused.
my senior bun is not fixed and is too old to be fixed but i plan on getting my rescue fixed once quarantine is over (vets here are only taking emergency patients)
my senior seems to like the rescue (wanting to see him, sniffing, licking my hands after i groom the rescue)
i might attempt a bond after the rescue male is fixed just bc he seems to be the only one who is aggressive but i know bonding males is very difficult so i will probably end up keeping them in seperated enclosures

Latest posts

Back