Male or female

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Female can hump as well, it is hard to be sure from your photo, looks a bit like a male to me indeed. How old is this rabbit? Also how long you have him/her and what age of your baby, is it boy or girl?
Are they housed together, do you have any other rabbits around?

Female can hump as well, it is hard to be sure from your photo, looks a bit like a male to me indeed. How old is this rabbit? Also how long you have him/her and what age of your baby, is it boy or girl?
We had one for about a week and just got the second today, don't know an exact age, between 2 and 4 months I was told. Yes they are housed together.

This one we have had a week, the new one is female we got today

You should not really house them together anymore, they might hit puberty and begin serious fighting, your bun humping the other is already a starter sign of that, i haven't really heard of babies showing such behaviour. Also, then it would make sense if that bun was a male and around 4 months of age, you might just have a buck that's beginning to turn teenage.

This one we have had a week, the new one is female we got today
So this one in photo is with you about one week and age is between 2 and 4 months. If it is a male you should be able to find his testicles already, but keep him on your lap and pet with one hand, and with your other hand just try to find them while his attention is distracted, because they can hide their testicles when you want to check them directly. It looks like a male to me indeed.

What about your other new rabbit, you say female, what is her age, how she reacted to being humped?

You should not really house them together anymore, they might hit puberty and begin serious fighting, your bun humping the other is already a starter sign of that, i haven't really heard of babies showing such behaviour. Also, then it would make sense if that bun was a male and around 4 months of age, you might just have a buck that's beginning to turn teenage.
To my knowledge they were both females, they aren't fighting at all.

So this one in photo is with you about one week and age is between 2 and 4 months. If it is a male you should be able to find his testicles already, but keep him on your lap and pet with one hand, and with your other hand just try to find them while his attention is distracted, because they can hide their testicles when you want to check them directly. It looks like a male to me indeed.

What about your other new rabbit, you say female, what is her age, how she reacted to being humped?
Same age I think closer to 4 months as she is bigger. She seems fine with it

To my knowledge they were both females, they aren't fighting at all.
It's not like they will fight right now, babies generally don't care for fighting with other younglings. It will become a problem when one of them switches into teenage mode, generally at 4-5 months for boys and 5-6 months for girls, but always, each bun is individual.
Babies don't mount each other as far as i know. It would be a great idea to think about housing them separate before stuff gets serous.
There are already a number of posts with titles similar to ''my young bunnies got along so well but then they fight, help?''

It's not like they will fight right now, babies generally don't care for fighting with other younglings. It will become a problem when one of them switches into teenage mode, generally at 4-5 months for boys and 5-6 months for girls, but always, each bun is individual.
Babies don't mount each other as far as i know. It would be a great idea to think about housing them separate before stuff gets serous.
There are already a number of posts with titles similar to ''my young bunnies got along so well but then they fight, help?''
We only have one house for them, it was my old lioness who passed, I wanted 2 young females so they would bond and can be housed together.

Mostly it's males that start to fight, females have a wider repertoir of sorting out hierachy, humping being part of it, but some just don't get along. Also, putting one in the territory of another doe can be a problem - as far as I know bonding is preferable done on neutral ground where neither was before, that could well explain the humping.

About the picture, looks more doe-ish to me, but to make sure apply some pressure with the finger until something pops out and make another picture - if the tip is round like a donut it's quite likely a boy, if it's still a slit a girl.

So firstly you should sex both your rabbits properly, if they are both like 3-4 months now you should be able to do that. Then, if one or both are boys they need to be separated immediately and kept strictly separately until neutered and 6-8 weeks after that, then you can try bonding them but as was said above it has to be neutral territory otherwise they can be territorial and fight trying to protect their property. If they will fight it will be very difficult to bond them together because they can start hating each other.

Listen to what Catlyn says, she was in the same situation last summer and came here with the same questions, she was very sarcastic about our advice and didn't follow, tried bonding her rabbits sooner than they were ready and they had major bloody fight and one of her rabbit lost part of his ear, and after one year they still not bonded so I see she is now first who is rushing with advice for the new owners and speaks from her own experience.

If they are girls it can be different, but it sounds like the first one thinks that it's already her territory and this new rabbit is an invader so if they both are female you should try bonding in neutral territory. But also they are still very young and they will change over the next couple months, they both will become hormonal and bonding before they are both neutered is very risky, I mean babies can tolerate and groom each other, but at 4-5-6-7 months whey will become hormonal and can start fighting/humping to prove their dominance, they can also start marking their territory peeing and pooping everywhere, they can spray urine on your walls and on you, male or female can do that. So getting two babies to live in the same enclosure sounds a bit like a recipe for disaster to me, not trying to scare you just being honest with you.

Most likely, you will have to build another setup for the second rabbit, wait when they can be neutered and then still keep them separated 6-8 weeks after to let their hormones to calm down, then start bonding process in a neutral for both territory.

If you are very lucky, some rabbits will bond unneutered and will accept each other naturally, they will just sort out their hierarchy, some humping and fur flying would be fine, but if there's no aggression and one of them is super submissive and both are very laid back. You can#t really tell right now because they are still almost babies and their personalities will be changing in becoming weeks/months.

Latest posts

Back