male & female bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujub793

Reaction score
so....my neighbor just gave me a bunny last nite because somebody gave it to them and they found they couldn't keep it because one of their children has asthma. i currently have a new bunny that i just got like a week ago and she is only like 10 weeks old or so. They told me this "new" bunny is a female and it is appx a year and a half old. so far i have kept the two rabbits seperated as i have two cages, so that so far they have only been able to look and sniff each other but have not had any physical contact.

i was just able to "bunny burrito" the new bunny to clip its nails (which have NEVER been clipped by the looks of them :X)
and while i was at it i decided not to take their word that this rabbit is a female...and low and behold....its not a female.

so now i am wondering how old does a rabbit have to be or how young can they be to get pregnant. i am going to make an appt to get this new rabbit neutered, but in the mean time i don't want any accidents!. my baby is still young to be spayed i believe until like august or so.

also should i wait until the new rabbit is neutered to let them get to know each other outside their cages?

Good on you for taking this bunny in!

Definitely wait until he's neutered before letting him meet your girl, if only for the sake of his hormones! I'm not sure on age for getting pregnant, but I THINK it's somewhere around 3-4 months. I still wouldn't let them play together, just to be safe.

You should also keep them separate for about 6 weeks after his neuter, as males can remain fertile for some time after the operation, and it will take a while for his hormones to settle down.

:yeahthat: definitely!

it depends on your bunnies, but you could try having the cages near each other - so that they get used to each others presence. if it's causing the male to get hormonal then you would have to move them:p

my buck, hartley, was neutered at 6 months - you vet will be able to advise you:)

keep us posted and well done for rescuing a bunny:halo

their cages are right next to each other and they seem to like each other and are interested in each oter. when i let each of them out individually they like to sit near each others cages, so i take that to be a good sign. i do notice the male will run around is his cage when willow comes near his. he doesn't do it everytime so maybe he is just anxious to join willow "on the outside?" or would that be a sign of "hormonal?".

also the male is very friendly towards me, he follows me everywhere and will circle arund my feet etc. is that usual behavior or hormonal behavior?

Latest posts

Back