Male collecting straw with mouth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimJam

Reaction score
hey, my male has been acting weird lately, he has been collecting mouthfuls of hay and bringing it outside. Does anyone have any ideas to why or has anyone had this behaviour in their male before? I thought only females show this “straw in mouth” behaviour.
Thanks

You are sure he's actually male? How old, fixed, and is there another rabbit around?

Quite often when someone tells that it turns out the bunny is actually female, I'm not sure but I think I've read about a male nesting too in the past, but imho that's rather rare.

If there is another intact male around he gets along with very fine seperate them right now until you're absolutly sure he's a boy and not a pregnant girl about to kindle.

Last edited:
I have a male that did this very thing. He is definitely male and neutered and I had had him for a number of years when he one time decided to do this. I posted a photo here on RO asking the same question.

So, yes, I can say I have seen this before in a male rabbit -- apparently rare but can happen. o_O

Thanks everyone for replying! Yes he’s definitely a male, he’s the man we use for breeding... he’s does the job as we’ve had good sized litters from him.

Latest posts

Back