Male bunny neutered and is now a much better bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CookieDough

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just want to let you know of my recent experience with my male bunny - Cookie - whom I've had for 9 months now and he was already around 3 or 4 years old when I adopted him.

About a month ago his behaviour rapidly changed and not in a good way. His hormones suddenly seemed out of control and he was attacking me, biting me aggressively, destroying his hutch, pooping and peeing absolutely everywhere all over the apartment.

It was very stressful. So I took him to the vet and that very day they neutered him. I collected him that same evening and he was a new bunny. He is now calm, affectionate, relaxing a lot in his hutch and when out of his hutch he is either chilling out or binkying and frolicking with happiness, doing lots of happy and relaxed bunny flops and only peeing and pooping in 2 corners of the apartment, so I now put paper down or his litter trays in those corners and my apartment is much cleaner these days!

Happy to hear your story and happiness with your boy's new behavior! So grateful you were aware of the benefits of sp/euter _ and his day_surgery neuter was performed by a qualified rabbit specialst.. This is a great success for you and him to live harmoniously. (ugh, Those dang hormones!)

Also our unneutered males sprayed horrendously prior to their neuters. Hubby and I could detect the scent as soon as we walked in the house.
Urine odors are obnoxious prior to beneficial neuter surgery. Bun hugs to you both. Enjoy the years ahead with your lucky altered boy.

https://www.houserabbitga.com/spay-neuter-rabbit

My Male rabbit about I think (Not sure 3-5 years old ) is that to old

most of my male bunnies got neutered at 3yrs old. My female bunny got spayed when she was 5 yrs old already! To be sure your bunny is fit for the procedure, make sure you go to an experienced rabbit savvy vet who has spayed/neutered bunnies before and has a high success rate. Also get their blood checked (cbc and blood chem), this is to ensure that they're healthy enough for the procedure.

I wrote a post before about preparing for spay and neuter, hopefully it will help you :)

We saw shelter rabbits come in routinely at that age, 3 or 4, and were neutered successfully by the shelter DVM who did hundreds of SNIP surgeries.

That being said, our 4 y.o. boy adopted from the shelter in 2003 did A-OK. w/his neuter at the shelter. Yet I trust my rabbit-savvy DVM to do CBC/BMP prior to surgery to check for hydration, blood-clotting, anemia, liver/kidney values, etc. Our DVM clinic has added xray protocol to check lungs.

One of our rescue Flemish Giants did not survive his neuter surgery at age 7 months. Bloodwork was done prior. Upon necropsy his lungs had less than 1/4th normal tissue and function. He went into cardiac arrest at the end of surgery procedure which doesn't last very long for males. I requested a necropsy from our rabbit-savvy DVM. He likely ingested the Sophresh with baking soda bedding that his previous owner kept him on in a small guinea pig cage for months prior to us taking him into our home. Google; The Dangers of Baking Soda for rabbits. Cuteness . com link. / Baking Soda is NOT Safe for Rabbits. dancing rabbit refuge facebook page.

Yet they still the baking soda bedding (for odor control) for guinea pigs and rabbits in stores. Do Not Buy.

One of my friends took in a garage-stored (uwanted) elder boy at age 7 and his rabbit-savvy DVM advised against a neuter at his elder age. I'm curious if members have had their males neutered after the age of 7, and success with the surgerical procedure?

Thank your for always considering sp/euter surgery. FuzzyBunny ph -- that's an excellent education poster.

Latest posts

Back