Making sure rabbits have enough exercise?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

en16649

Reaction score
Hey there,
I keep looking at people’s Rabbitrys online and it seems lots of breeders use those small metal cages. I’d like to make sure my buns have enough roaming space but it seems difficult to make sure all the buns get enough exercise space.

how do you make sure they have room? I was thinking about having a shed or a room and some open space so I can open one hutch at a time and let them free roam. If I could keep bucks together it would make life easier butas sweet and gentle as much buck is I’ve heard having multiple intact bucks together is a recipient for disaster.
Thoughts?

Well, I let them out in the garden, the two pairs of does (and offspring if there is) seperated by a fence, the two groups don't get along.

Did the same with my buck at times when the does were in the hutches, he had run of the fenced hutch area the whole night. Well, 3 hutches, 2 doors each which I open 5-6 times a day, that summs up, with a failure rate at latching properly or such of just 0.1% you end up with a LOT of surprise litters.

Now my buck and his spayed cuddlebun are my free roam house bunnies and only have access to the front yard during the day (still big), far away from any fertile does.

But all that is a nice-to-have. They don't really need it, especially if they never knew it. And it isn't the most efficient way to raise rabbits, and not on a bigger scale. You might want to read up on colonies, but that isn't the most easy setting for beginners. The main part of domestication was to get them comfortable enough in small places without being stressed, especially meat breeds. It really depends on what you plan to do and how. I , personally, enjoy having them around, living out their natural behaviour.

Apologies for all my typos, not sure what happened there!
Yeah I agree, ideally I’d like to let them have free access to the garden but I’ve got an issue with foxes close by and I’m not willing to loose them, I’m probably gonna have a fenced off and covered area they can go in.
It’s more if I wanted another buck that’s the issue, instead of 2 separate “colonies” it would be 3.

Latest posts

Back