Make a Jazz Noise Here

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Jan, Dave, and Susan. Gracie is just a little doll and so easy to cuddle. I am such a sucker for those blue eyes.

Sadly, I was mistaken about the trio.... :( I had taken Grace to the shelter to date the two available bachelors. One wasn't neutered and had the expected outcome... The other boy was at the shelter for about seven months and had been neutered when he arrived. The date went really well!! He took the dominant abuse that Gracie dished out, turned his head, and groomed her!! I was so amazed that I thought he was "the one" to bond with Grace, or maybe even Callie and Zappa.

I adopted him, and unfortunately, he has decided he wants to be a dominant also. :( I don't know what to do with a house full of dominant bunnies!! This is getting to be so frustrating! All I want them to do is like each other... Are there no submissive bunnies left out there?

Anyhow, I named my new guyDoug, after the dog in the movie "Up." We think he is a Satin mix with the Californian marks. He is a handsome bunny with pink eyes, and doesn't seem to have any visual problems that I am able to tell. I think Doug may be bonding with me because I'm not afraid to let him know that I am alpha-bun.

I don't have any pics of Dougin my Photobucket account yet. I will have to do that so you will be able to see what a handsome trio they would have made....

I now have pics loaded in my Photobucket account...

RO, meet Doug...

P5070236.jpg

P5070237.jpg

Doug with my girls on their first and only real successful date.

P5100241.jpg

P5100242.jpg

The would make such a lovely trio, wouldn't they? Naturestee told me not to give up hope, that Doug might need more time to adjust to a more friendly atmosphere than the shelter. I have a feeling that being at the shelter for seven months may have affected him and may have made him less trusting. He seems like a he is a good bunny, but it's going to take some time to get him to trust me, and maybe the girls. Maybe he just has his guard up and is playing bad bunny because he thinks he might go back to the shelter. I think I'll have to have a talk with him so he understands that he isn't going anywhere and that bonding is good. Gosh, maybe he doesn't want to bond because his other bond-mate was taken away from him at the shelter... :( We will have our work cut out for us I think.

Ohhh, they would definitely be an awesome trio. Doug is just a sweetheart.

You could be right about him having trust issues, and afraid of losing his partner. Maybe with time he will feel more confident, and relax with Zappa and Grace. Fingers crossed.

Jan

OMG what an ADORABLE Trio they would make.

I'm a wuss when it comes to bonding. I should have Winston & Vega bonded with Daisy Mae. But when Winston & Vega came to me I put them all in Daisy Mae's room, not a good idea. Mind you they are in the same room now, but their is no way I would attempt to bond 3 of them by myself.

I sure hope you get those 3 bonded.

Looking forward to more pictures of all your Beauties.

Susan:)

Just not pushing it. We came to the conclusion that they belong with us. They aren't going anywhere so who cares how long it takes. We just did small meets no more than a few minutes.Slowly build up.

Thanks Jan, Susan, and Ali. I am so hoping this is going to work. Doug did have a small milestone today... I went to give him pellets, hay, and water this morning, and he almost came to greet me, but changed his mind. I really want to set him up where he will be able to see my girls interact with me. I think he needs to learn by example from the girls so that he will be able to see that pets and snuggles are good. It took a while forCallie to learn thatnose-bumps are an acceptable wayto ask for pets instead of nips.Zappa was a good teacher....;)

I am so happy you took in Doug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Believe it or not when he came into the shelter he was not a nice rabbit. He reminded me of how Marley used to be so I instantly liked him. LOL! Anyway, if you even went near him with your hand he'd grunt and box and you. Then the last few weeks he was there he just did a total 180 and was SO sweet! I could easily take him out of his cage and he let me hold him no problem. He also was more "raggy" looking when he first came in. I noticed, especially in the last month or so, his coat has looked a lot shinier and smoother. He turned into such a beautiful rabbit. When Naturestee told me you took him I was soooo happy!!!!!!!

Here's a photo I took of him. :)

2a861b18.jpg

Thanks so much for the pretty picture of Doug, Boz!! You take such nice photos!! At least you are able to not get the glare from his pink eyes. The glare on pink or blue eyes is so much worse than brown/black eyes. It's a glare that can't be fixed with a "red-eye"fix button on editing programs. I also have such a problem with my Rhone piggies because of their pink eyes as well. I almost don't like to photograph them because more than half of the pics look horrible because of the glare.

Yeah, Doug still gets a little testy with his grunting and hand-slapping, but it's almost kind of funny because he acts so tough until I scoop him up and cuddle on him for a while. ;) He usually 'kind of' greets me in the morning by approaching me, but then his demeanor changes from happy to subdued so quickly and he backs away. He is a handsome bunny when his ears are forward and he seems happy....! I hope he will get around to enjoying life someday. :D

Grace was cute today. I decided to take a twenty-minute lay-down to rest my back and get ready for another round of 'stuff-to-do.' Grace totally surprised me by jumping up onto the love-seat with me and allowing me to pet her!It was like the first time she ever stayed long enough for petting, and I was so happy about it! But then a friend sent a text, and Grace didn't care for my inattentiveness toward her while I was texting back. Needless to say, I received some well deserved grunts and hand-slaps for that!! Nothing like a mad Nethie to put one in their place, let me tell ya...!!! ;)

Just a quick update on Doug...

Another small milestone in Doug's adjustment this morning. He actually came to greet me this morning and he allowed me to pet up his nose!! :D I think that is a very big step for him. Now I have to get him to trust me, and allow me to pet him at other times of the day. He seems a bit more leery of me as the day goes on.

For some strange reason he has decided to start pee'ing next to his litter pan. Not sure what that is about. I tell him he is naughty going potty next to the pan because I bought a bigger pan just for him. I tell him it is such a nice pan and that his potties belong in the pan. I think he looks like he understands, but is making a choice to see how upset I get. Maybe it's a test to see if he gets taken back to the shelter. Poor little guy... How to tell a bunny that he is going to be with me forever and good behavior is appreciated?

Goodness what beautiful buns! Grace's blue eyes are fabulous! I really wish I could expand my herd! LOL! So what's the weather like in Wisconsin these days? It's already in the upper 90's here in Texas in the afternoons so my boys aren't getting as much outside time as they're used to so I'm going to try to make a NIC pen for them to use inside!

Thanks Julie and Luella! I swear if I had the room in my house, I would have just about one bunny from each breed and each color. Wouldn't that be something?!!!

The weather in Wisconsin, at least along the lake-side, is getting into the 70's and approaching the 80's for brief times on some days when you folks in the South send that heat North. I think I would just melt if I had to deal with temps in the 90's already. I'll keep my cool lake breeze, thank you very much... ;) :D

As long as I'm catching up on blogs to see what is going on in forum-bunnies lives, I thought I would post a quick update on my kids. :)

Callie and Zappa are doing really well together. Callie has decided to be my new 'dental needs' bun. Two molar trims in four months... poor little girl...

I now have a new pair-bond!! Gracie Ann and Oliver have decided it's okay to be frenemies. They don't have that cuddly bond that Patrick and Luna had, but they do have some very nice moments together. They seem to be much more relaxed and at ease now that they have they entire day to be out instead of time-sharing the living room. The bond makes it so much easier for me also. I don't have to rush around to get Oliver to bed so Grace could have enough run-time.

Doug is doing well. Still not bonded to any-bun, but I hope to change that once I get my butt in gear to make his condo. I want to set him up inCallie and Zappa's room so they get used to him. I know he won't be happy with it, but having a trio and a duo would make things ten times easier.

I also have new additions... Lotus, and 1.5 pound girl with black/white Dutch marks who is way too funny; Abbigail, no clue what her personality is like because she needs to be spayed :(; and Christopher, a loppy grandpa bunny who was brought into the shelter at age six and turned seven sitting in a SuperPet cage... no animal should sit in a cage that long without love :(. I was too late to take his friend Speckles. He died the same night I brought him home. Will always beat myself up over that one since I could have taken him one week earlier to help him. He cuddled into me, but I just didn't think I was ready for him at that time. I will always listen to my heart in those cases instead of my head.

I think that is about it as far as stuff going on. Some day I would like to post pics, but I really don't like my fancy camera. Pics turn out way too dark and the pics take to long to take. I see the kids doing something cute, and the moment is gone by the time the camera is ready to shoot.

myheart

Hey Ali!! Good to hear from you!

Did you start a different blog? The blog I have pinned hasn't been updated in forever. Just wondering if I have the right blog or not....:p

Hi Janet,

Great to hear about all your fur babies. You sound busy with all of them. I only have 3 now but takes so much time to take care of them But I love themand I choose to have them in my life so I have to be their care giver. I couldn't and wouldn't ever think about not having them in my life.

Any ways you gotta try to get pictures of your Munchkins, I want to see all pf them.

Hugs and Nose Bonks to you and all your babies.

Susan:)

Hi Susan!! Thanks for stopping by for the update!

I've been lurking around on your blog also. I absolutely love the photo updates you've been posting! Daisy is such a good sport about being dressed up. :)Love all of her pink outfits. Such a little Princess she is. :p

I agree with you. Somehow taking care of fur-kids is so much more worth the effort than not having anyone to take care of. I just wish I could make full-time wages for cleaning up after them. ;)

Latest posts

Back