macbook or laptop?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PepnFluff

Reaction score
Hi guys, our current laptop is dying quite steadily and we've had to spend quite a lot on it to keep it running. With all the trouble it's given us I was thinking a macbook, prob just the 13inch one maybe the cheapest macbook pro. I know there are quite a few tech savvy people on here so was wanting to know what are peoples views on the whole mac vs pc debate? Also those with macs what sort of virus protections do you use and how effective do you find it?

Thanks heaps :D

Wow Boz! I've been told to look for a HP as well, jeepers! Will be steering well clear, thank you. That graph is awesome, thanks again :D

I used to work at a computer repair store, and I saw the same thing, HP and Acer came in all the time to be repaired while i saw maybe 2 or 3 Asus' in my time there. LG is also a good brand for laptops, i only saw 2 of those come in as well, good quality (Asus is fancier and good for gaming, LG for everyday life)

Thank you Violet, it's funny how laptops which you would think would be about the same quality as each other vary so much!

I would like to show my concern for you getting an HP (or considering it).

I had problems with my laptop, it kept shutting itself off (I had a 1 year warranty) and it got sent in. Then they sent it back saying 'oh it's fine.. live with it' pretty much. Then it happend again and the guy said he'd send me the special box, then I can send it back to HP and they'd look at it again ( it wasn't charging properly ) and I sent it, and they sent it back fixing a key (which I didn't even know was broken?) and didn't fix the original issue. Even though they make you fill out a form with your concerns, and it was VERY apparent that I had these 2 problems.
THEN, it kept shutting off again and eventually shut off and wouldn't turn back on. I called HP and they said to wait a week, and try and turn it back on (they said it probably 'over heated')I waited the week, tried it and it still didn't work so I called them back and their excuse? "Your warranty expired 3 days ago" Ohhh I wanted to strangle him through the phone . They made me wait a week, and the guy KNEW my warranty was going to expire.
They wanted to charge me 750$ to look at the shutting off problem. Not fix it, not looking after the charging problem.
I ended up not sending it in. Then 2 weeks ago my brother was playing around with it, and noticed something in the bottom that didn't look right, and realized a wire was dislodged. .. it worked after.

If they would've opened it up, the first two times then they would have seen the dislodged wire.

My friend who has a Dell had some problems with her laptop (really minor stuff) and they gave her a new one off the bat! all she had to pay was 50$ to get her stuff transfered.

macs have a very very low chance of getting viruses due to the fact no one has put the time in to making a bunch yet.not saying there are none, but a lot less than any laptop.

then it comes down to what you want to use it for. ive always had dells...from desktops to laptops with no problem. i love my inspiron. :)

if you want a gaming comp you need to look at specs
general comp dells are good
program comp macs are good

My brother bought an Acer netbook. Barely made it 6 months. He now owns an Asus netbook.

I have owned a refurbished Sony for, gosh maybe 6 years now. Never had a problem. Still ticking!! I got bored of it before it wore out on me.

My mother in law used a Toshiba for many years. The thing could kill a small animal if dropped on it. It is a dinosaur. Worked until she got tired of it and got a macbook. Notably she is one of the least computer savvy people i know, and she is able to.function on her own with her macbook. She had to ask a lot of questions with her Windows laptop.

I now own a midrange Asus laptop. It has become my primary computer and I love it. Been one year, no problems whatsoever, knock on wood!

Mac vs Pc debate can go on for quite a bit. I like to think of it as, if you want easy and rather reachable support, go macbook. Apple store is very close by for me, so if I have issues or questions I can just drop in to ask a Genius. My husband enthusiastically switched to mac and he bought a ton of apple proprietary gadgets afterwards so beware of secondary costs. Everything apple seems to be at a premium. I prefer a less costly way of life and more options to my computing. I know my way around the pc as I used to do it for a living so I never get viruses and the like. To be honest I am astonished that with a growing apple market that there aren't a bunch of viruses hitting that platform! :)

Well, I've had my Gateway Laptop for 2 1/2 years or so now and haven't had a single issue with it. I think it all really depends on what you are doing on it and how well you take care of it.

I used to be a PC person...then I got a mac.

I'm never buying a PC again unless I get into some serious programming / game design / web design stuff. People say that you pay more for the mac "brand" which I really don't think is true.

I had a lot of really high high quality PCs in the past and every time after having them for about 2 years I was very sick of them and they started to run slowly. With every PC I had I ended up taking it in to get serviced.

I've had the new macbook (the shiny aluminum one) and I adore it. Nothing is ever wrong with it, it always runs the exact same, and nothing about it bothers me. You don't need to pay for the very expensive virus protection either because Macs don't get viruses.

With mac's you get a lot of power (or at least enough power) in a compact frame. PCs with a similar amount of power tend to be large. Also, the macs are just so sleek and attractive. I don't think ive ever seen a PC that looks as nice.

I used to be so against macs, but even I fell in love with the new design. There are so many cool features, and best of all its reliable. I never get frustrated with my mac and want to chuck it across the room.

Brandy that's so stupid, they obviously knew your warranty was about to expire, how rude! Good job on your brother for fixing it!
Yeah Peg, thats what I love about apple, their so easy for help, just call an 0800 number and I get a kiwi who knows exactly what i'm on about :D

Is it obvious I went with a mac? :p Went with the macbook 13" which is lovely, it arrived today and Is lovely! Had a bit of trouble setting up the iMail, gave them a ring and so lovely and helpful! It's also so intuitive, and logical to use. Love it, no hesitation in recommending.

I have an HP desktop. and I'd have to agree with everyone else here. I would never buy another ever again. the first time I tried to use it the tower would not even work. So I sent it in. and got another one. But now It shuts down randomly all the time. I also got a run around on fixing the problem until my warranty expired. A friend of mine also bought from HP and had nothing but problems.

Latest posts

Back