Lunging Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose_414

Reaction score
My rabbit runs at me in a lunging manner at feeding time in the morning. I’m concerned this is now a learned behaviour and she feels the need to run and lunge at me every time food is available.

She’s 3 and spayed. Can this be unlearned?
Is it too late?

I’ve been trying to teach her to high 5, but she’s so aggressive and skittish. It’s only when food is involved. Normally she’s pretty chilled out and friendly and loves strokes.

Help please.

Yes so in the morning I usually fill her bowl when she’s out of the cage. She runs towards my feet aggressively as I do this. I’ve managed to train her to go upstairs before I put her bowl in so that she doesn’t attack my hand. It seems like she associates aggression with food. :(

Maybe make sure she is distracted when you put her food in. As to why she is doing it that is something someone else will have to answer.

My 8 week old rabbit does this to but it's whenever I do clean the extra large plastic cage that i do have out everyday since he or she does spill food by putting it's front paws in the food bowl and does spill water also

Yes so in the morning I usually fill her bowl when she’s out of the cage. She runs towards my feet aggressively as I do this. I’ve managed to train her to go upstairs before I put her bowl in so that she doesn’t attack my hand. It seems like she associates aggression with food. :(
This sounds like territorial, my Smokey does it but she's not fixed. If yours is 3 and spayed she shouldn't be territorial but she clearly attacks your hand because you are inside her cage.

Mine is 1.5ys and neutered but is still sometimes offended at me cleaning his area. Other times, it is like he is supervising me and evaluating if I did a good job. He has absolutely no fear of the regular vaccum or the hand held pet vac.

I know my neutered buck attacked me all the time when I was going to fill up water, give hay or food. It no longer happens but he will bite the tbs with pellets if I dump it too slow in his bowl

Then he will happily eat the food in the bowl.

It’s never too late to teach your bunny how to behave and act during feeding time.

In the beginning I used working gloves during feeding time to not get wounds and bruises [emoji849]

Latest posts

Back