Luna's Lunging...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariusshadow

Reaction score
Luna's my four(ish) year old Polish female. I was told she was spayed. I got her from CraigsList about a year ago. I'm wondering now if she's maybe not spayed. I have taken video of some of her more tame behavior. I'd like some feedback if people think she may still be spayed and very angsty, if this something I might be doing wrong, or some tips to get around her behavior. It's becoming bothersome. If I try to fill her food dish, or give her something, I often get grunted at and lunged at. She will often box you with her front paws.
The only things I really did in this video were moving the hay, attempting to pet her, which she will sometimes allow, usually more calmly with food at her disposal. Doing things that I might need to do on a daily basis... Like moving the pinecone out of the way or picking up her food. I understand I provoked this session but, these are things my other buns don't like, but don't attack me for. = Also bear in mind, this was several days condensed into one video. I didn't aggravate her this much all in one day. I'm looking for feedback. Like ways to maybe bond with her, if anyone thinks it will help, or things I can do to make her a happier bun so maybe she won't display this behavior. Most of the people that come over are warned to only play with Jasper and Nymh, and a few of my friends are rather afraid of Luna.
Hoping someone can determine whether or not she is spayed, as well. If you don't think she is, I may look into asking a vet about getting her fixed...

She could or could not be spayed...I can't tell from her behavior. So, I'd get her checked out, so you know for sure if she is spayed or not. My Molly sometimes acts like that and she is spayed...she will grunt & lunge to tell me to get out of her business, and she doesn't live in a cage at all, LOL.

Honestly, from the video....I see a rabbit that is slightly cage aggressive - she just doesn't want you poking around in her stuff. I think it could be because her cage is way too tiny for her...she has no space at all to flop out, from what I can tell. I'd look into setting up a xpen or build a NIC cage, then see if her behavior gets better (along with checking with a vet to see if she is spayed). A lot of rabbits are possessive of their cage and its something that they may or may not get out of....buns are just territorial animals.

If we had the money to put out for a NIC set, I would have done it already. :( I've been wanting one for a long time now. Most of the reason it seems she doesn't have room to flop out, is because she's not her box often. She doesn't really 'flop out'. Even when free-ranging. She prefers to 'puff up' to chill out. Which she usually does in her Mountain Dew box. I'm hoping to get at least one set of NIC cubes sometime within the month. But, because our living situation is unsure at the moment, and we may be moving in a few months, I don't see a reason of setting up a NIC cage that will soon have to be taken down. =\ I do certainly plan for NIC for all three in the long-term future, though. But right now, it's just not realistic. We're paying rent for a room our friend was supposed to fill. But the people he's living with our like our family. And if he leaves, they're all homeless. We're trying to get a place for ALL of us, in which case we may just try to get a rabbit room set up specifically... Because together, we have 7 rabbits. @_@ In which case, they'd probably all be NIC cages to save on space... I just don't think my boyfriend will fork the money right now because it's just not a priority. :\
I thank you for the feedback. I'll try to get a hold of our nearest bun-friendly vet (half an hour away Dx) to see if they'd take a look at her and get prices for the possible fixing. Thank you again. :)

If a new cage isn't an option now, then I'd try not to fuss with her at all while she is in her cage....wait to feed her/clean the cage while she is out running around. I had a foster that was cage aggressive and I had to slightly adjust my schedule for him due to that, but it wasn't a bit deal and worked out really well. Is her cage up on a dresser or something? If so, then the first thing I would do is move it to the floor...most rabbits don't like being picked up and if shes up high & has to be picked up to get out of her cage, then chances are she's not going to be better with her cage issues.

No choice again, I'm afraid. She will attack other rabbits through their or her own cage when on the floor. In order for her to free-range, I have to move Jasper and Nymh's cages out of the room. She will box, grunt, lunge, bite, both rabbits through their own cages. If the others are out and go past her cage, they pay her no mind, but get nipped because she's bugging out. I've tried putting a fence around the cages. I have two playpens for rodents. Very short. Works for Nymh to not got bitten when Luna's in her cage... But the others are much taller and bigger and simply push it aside or find a way to get over it. I am presently working on getting the hallway cleared up again so they can free-range there. But that still leaves the problem of where to put the cage... Our hallway only has room for either Luna or Jasper's cage on the floor. And Nymh's on top because he jumps in and out of his cage when it's on top of another's. I suppose... While the one room isn't being taken up, I can leave Luna in that room for free-range... but she won't be able to stay there when we have to have a tenant fill it. Most of our issue at the moment is that the house doesn't have the space for the buns... Because we're also using the current 'bun room' as a storage room. For things that CANNOT be chewed... So I have to either move those things out of the room as well when they free range, which are very heavy, or come up with something else... At the moment, I move Jasper and Nymh's cage out three times a week for Luna to free-range. And that's enough of a chore plus keeping her completely away from the stuff she can't chew...

Edit: It's easier with Jasper and Nymh in the storage room at the moment because they won't chew the stuff. Not chewers, really. Jasper's big "bad chew" is wires. She loves them. But she won't really touch anything else. I suppose if Luna goes into the hallway when it's clear, and Nymh and Jasper stay in the storage room for now, that might work out... But that's still not really a permanent fix...

I'm sorry...I just don't have any other suggestions. I think if you were able to do what I suggested, then it would really help Luna a lot....as I can tell by the video she seems frustrated.

Maybe someone else will come along and offer another suggestion.

I really hope so. =\ I hate to leave her frustrated and cage aggressive. I've helped her get more social with people lately because of hand feeding and having our various friends give her treats... She's warmed up quite a bit from being rescued. The person I got her from had found her 'under a staircase in NYC'. She was a mess- physically and emotionally. But she's gotten a lot better.. accept the cage aggression...

o_O On another note- did the video play out for 3 minutes for you? I'm just not trying to watch it and it's only going for 20 seconds...

I built my huge NIC cage for 50 bucks, and from looking at your current cage, it reminds me of one I purchased at PetSmart for 45 bucks, which if you think about the room, its worth it.

I also notice that it seems as though your bun isnt able to come in and out of their cage without you helping..try putting your cage on the floor so he can come in and out at his will for play time. That results in a calmer bun.

if you truly cant afford a larger cage, try a smaller litter box (they sell corner litter boxes which i used in my smaller cage) which would allow your bun to lounge out and relax. Perhaps your bun is aggrivated because there isnt much room to relax.

I got my cage for free- yay Craig's List. I spent no money. On any of my cages. Never do. I find them overpriced and have a collection of them in the basement. I do plan to pay for NIC, but I mean 'store-bought' cages, I don't pay for. I'm sorry but $80 is not reasonable for plastic and metal. =\

My bun is now in the hallway, on the floor, able to free-range without being handled, and the vet has been contacted about pricing for possible spaying.

Smaller litter box? We JUST gave her the bigger one. She wouldn't use a smaller one because it was too small- it was a corner box. Now she uses her litter box because it's big enough. I was given the idea from someone on the forum. =\ And she does have a box that she happily sleeps in. She has room to sprawl out, but chooses not to. If she wanted, she has the room to "bun-flop" in the box. But I never see her do it, even when free-ranging. She "puffs up" to chill. Not "flop out". If you read above, I said this somewhere. =\

Latest posts

Back